Sonic Stage Ultimate Release 2 Installation Problem on Vista

Rate this topic

chris348

The /NoUI switches are suppressing the system from showing you anything (on your screen) when you run SetupSS.exe

Can you confirm that if you execute the setup.exe in sonicstagessenglish that it doesn't prompt you? Here's what mine looks like (i.e. it DOES prompt u):

post-101758-0-92999100-1415620834_thumb.

I'm sorry my instructions for editing the PATH variable were lousy. Did you find that dialog box? The PATH variable is in the System Variables box (the lower of 2 in that dialog) and you have scroll it to find. There's a button labelled "Edit.." there which will do what you want. I think you have to put WINDOWS (x3) path entries before the Delphi stuff. Not sure why.

I take that back, sorry. I looked on this machine (that I'm typing on) and Embarcadero's stuff is, like yours, ahead of the 3 windows entries. Maybe this is a false trail, don't worry about it for now. However I still think one of those many path entries is the key to all of this.

Stephen

Hi Jan,

Have edited the setupss.ini file as you suggested. When I ran setupss.exe, one difference was that there were many more installation windows than before, except for the stage when sonicstage was being installed, which again was over in a second or two. Again. no sign of a sonic stage executable.

Re inquistor's recent suggestions, have emptied the temp folder of everything that did not complain, which left about 6 folders. Tried to become a super-administrator, but could not. Nor can I edit the PATH parameter. Will pursue both these when I have the time.

The two log files are attached.

Many thanks to all for the suggestions.

Chris

That are not the logfiles I mean, can you show SonicStage.log, see above for the complete path.

(C:ChrisAppDataLocalTempSsInstallSonicStage.log)

That file shows more information.

Jan,

The only log in that folder is SSS-patch.log, the text version of which is attached.

Chris

That logfile shows that the SonicStage Update Program is aborted because SonicStage is not installed.

It proves that you don't have to search for SonicStage, it is not installed.

So the logfile I wanted to see is never produced because the installationstep of SonicStage is not executed.

I hoped to see in that (not produced) logfile why that step failed but that part of the installation is almost completely skipped, even the logfile is not there.

I am looking further but it is a difficult problem, hopefully Stephen finds a solution.

The /NoUI switches are suppressing the system from showing you anything (on your screen) when you run SetupSS.exe

Can you confirm that if you execute the setup.exe in sonicstagessenglish that it doesn't prompt you? Here's what mine looks like (i.e. it DOES prompt u):

attachicon.gifinstallSS.jpg

I'm sorry my instructions for editing the PATH variable were lousy. Did you find that dialog box? The PATH variable is in the System Variables box (the lower of 2 in that dialog) and you have scroll it to find. There's a button labelled "Edit.." there which will do what you want. I think you have to put WINDOWS (x3) path entries before the Delphi stuff. Not sure why.

I take that back, sorry. I looked on this machine (that I'm typing on) and Embarcadero's stuff is, like yours, ahead of the 3 windows entries. Maybe this is a false trail, don't worry about it for now. However I still think one of those many path entries is the key to all of this.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

When I run setup in ss/english I also get a prompt from an official looking sonic stage window asking me if I want to continue. When you click yes, nothing happens.

Re the path hypothesis, have stripped out everything except the windows system stuff (see path file attached). The problem remains.

Am still not a super administrator. Will try that when I have the time

Chris

That logfile shows that the SonicStage Update Program is aborted because SonicStage is not installed.

It proves that you don't have to search for SonicStage, it is not installed.

So the logfile I wanted to see is never produced because the installationstep of SonicStage is not executed.

I hoped to see in that (not produced) logfile why that step failed but that part of the installation is almost completely skipped, even the logfile is not there.

I am looking further but it is a difficult problem, hopefully Stephen finds a solution.

Jan,

Thanks for this. It is all a bit weird.

Chris

minimum path.txt

Ah,.... that's not how you set your user to admin.

You need to use control panel, and look at User Accounts. This is what it looks like under W7:

attachicon.gifuseracc.jpg

It's similar under XP, but I don't have a copy of Vista that works.

Hi,

My account is already an administrator account. Thought that there was some kind of super administrator account that we were trying to move to.

Re the path hypothesis, have stripped out everything except the windows system stuff (see path file attached). The problem remains.

Chris

We may be getting down to the wire (I sent you an email too).

This ghostscript install concerns me, I flashed briefly by something saying it may be a vector for malware, just as some versions of Acrobat can be.

Can you remove it?

@Chris

Hi,

There is something you can try if you like.

Download SonicStage3.4.zip from the download section.

Unzip the downloaded file and run SetupSS.exe (SonicStage3.4ss3.4SetupSS.exe).

May be this version can install omgjbox.exe and so on.

You get an error with the installation of SimpelBurger but that doesn't matter in this case.

There is a (little) chance this installation succeeds.

Then you can run SetupSS.exe from the SS43_ULTIMATE map, that is the one you have run already a lot of times.

You don't need to delete files, an existing version will deleted automatic.

I have just done this on my own laptop to test this procedure and had no trouble.

I think it is worth a try.

Jan

@Chris

Hi,

There is something you can try if you like.

Download SonicStage3.4.zip from the download section.

Unzip the downloaded file and run SetupSS.exe (SonicStage3.4ss3.4SetupSS.exe).

May be this version can install omgjbox.exe and so on.

You get an error with the installation of SimpelBurger but that doesn't matter in this case.

There is a (little) chance this installation succeeds.

Then you can run SetupSS.exe from the SS43_ULTIMATE map, that is the one you have run already a lot of times.

You don't need to delete files, an existing version will deleted automatic.

I have just done this on my own laptop to test this procedure and had no trouble.

I think it is worth a try.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the suggestion. Please could you advise of the location of the zip file. Am having trouble finding it.

Chris

Actually, GCHQ is about three miles away.- Anything is possible these days.

Have tried the installation on my son's machine (Windows 7) and it worked fine first time. Current theory is that there is a left-over from the previous installation that fools the installer into thinking that the Sonic is still installed. Think I may re-install 7 on the lap top when I have the time. Surely that should work.

Well, this is all a bit embarrassing.

Yesterday our youngest son logged on to the windows 7 lap top remotely. One of the first things he tried was to run the unpacked set-up file in ss/English as administrator. Sonicstage installed OK. Did the same thing on the Vista desktop and that worked OK. Am sure that this was tried a good while ago. Will now stop fiddling.

However, all's well that ends well. Many thanks to inquisitor and kalkie for the many suggestions.

• Like 1

Well, this is all a bit embarrassing.

Yesterday our youngest son logged on to the windows 7 lap top remotely. One of the first things he tried was to run the unpacked set-up file in ss/English as administrator. Sonicstage installed OK. Did the same thing on the Vista desktop and that worked OK. Am sure that this was tried a good while ago. Will now stop fiddling.

However, all's well that ends well. Many thanks to inquisitor and kalkie for the many suggestions.

Damn those meddling kids!  :good:

• 3 weeks later...

don't forget to make sure that your computer is up to date and that all of the operating files are correct. to do this go to start/ system/accessories/ command prompt/ then type in the box SFC/SCANNOW  this scan only takes around 20 minutes or so and should come up 100% all in order should it not that will account for certain drivers and software not installing  

I don't see why that affects Sonic Stage. Generally system dll changes would not have any effect on a roughly 10 year old app like Sonic Stage.

It may be good advice... but OTOH you may just end up placing restrictions on the software you're installing. My vote would be NO although I'm sure there are situations where SFC is quite useful.

YMMV.