transfer minidisc to PC including track divisions and names

Rate this topic

wlexxx

is there any way to transfer minidisc to PC including track divisions and names from the original minidisc?

does that renderer thingy do that?

how  ?

what else [MD hardware" ] do i need?

they are NOT Hi-MD, just either mono or maybe one of the compressed modes stereo....

all recorded on SHARP units of earlyish vintage

thx

wle

Don't hate me - but you need an MZ-RH1 (MZ-M200 is the same thing). No ands ifs or buts. They're expensive these days, start at about $400. Note that this will NOT work with music that was transferred from the PC in the first place.

i was hoping to avoid what i perceive as the sonic stage /  DRM nightmare....

is there ANY way around that?

i could buy pro level decks if necessary

wle

I apologize for being cryptic. You can read some of my 4,813 posts before deciding whether or not to take what I say as true, but I sense that you are ready to blame me (for something that I haven't done or said - yet).

Of course you can mess up your own recordings!

ok thanks,  i  believe you

i wish there was some way to try this hands on but there seem to be only about 3 people in the world doing it

what i don;t want is a bunch of bugs and traps and complex nonintuitive operations, hacks, linux :)

i just want it to be simple, easy, and leave my source material unaltered

how close is it to that?

is there some guide already written for doing this?

i see plenty of stuff that says basically ..

.."connect the analog L and R to a sound card, make a big wave or mp3 file, then enter all the track names and divide it all into tracks by hand"

that is too hard

wle

Once you've got an RH1, it's quite easy except:

1. The are software setup challenges. Connected with:

a. having other NetMD devices previously attached.

b. increased security due to all the hackers in the world

c. 64-bit Windows.

Those are things we spend a lot of time helping people with.

2. The uploaded files have to be decrypted (Sony gives you the tool for it, you just don't realise they did, and it's foolproof). It's important to do this before the next time someone does a System Restore, or (worse) new install of Windows. THEN you can lose the uploaded files. You'll never lose the original MDs.

3. There IS one known major bug in SonicStage that can affect your (own) recordings - if you try to delete more than one unlabeled track from your legacy MD recordings using usb, game over. Solution to this is always label everything ASAP, even if the label is one character long. Then they can be deleted just fine in any combination.

The only other non-intuitive thing to watch out for is that you are better to upload in compressed (ATRAC3+) form than in WAV. The former allows you to keep the metadata properly. It's also, sonically, as good or better than 16-bit WAV, believe it or not. You may have to reconvert later if that's what you want to do, but Sound Forge is (since version 9 or so) sold by Sony and will do almost any conversion you (later) need, provided you decrypt the files (#2 above).