Flac to SonicStage : it has been a long time

Rate this topic

PhilippeC

Sound forge will directly output to NetMD but this capability may be limited to Windows XP, or at least 32 bit. I'll try it but the next days are going to be hectic of course. This means your best MD sound will be LP2 (132kbps). If this is OK I'd say go ahead and try it out. I have tried it under XP before.

To read tracks into SF they have to be decrypted already, but you knew that Philippe...... :)

The way I follow is:

I keep my musiclibrary in MediaMonkey (all tagged) and convert FLAC to WMA lossless in MediaMonkey, which is really fast and the metadata is kept in the WMA-files. Import the files in SS and transfer to MD, Hi-Md or any other atrac-device. I use a special map/directory for the converted files and keep the original FLAC's, after the transfer to MD, Hi-Md or atrac-device I delete the WMA's.

I have one step before the import in SS when I want to transfer to MD because I prefer on MD "artistname-title" as title and I use Mp3tag to retitle, Mp3tag works also on WMA-files.

I follow this method so that I don't have to title each track in SS.

kalkie, I've tried your solution.

Flac or WAV if files have useful names for editing. I had prepared already a WAV copy of a great folder to be transfered so I choose this great folder to convert WAV files to WMA lossless

MP3tag (which I know very well) to edit WMA lossless files to edit and save the tracks with the right following :

1) name : artist - title for the name of the track (without %track% number)

2) artist : V.A. or artist of the track

3) album

Then everything is going fine during Sonic Stage files import and the transfer work great without editing work (groups + tracks name)

The only problem is that I need to use limited softwares like Easy CD-DA Extractor or Audio Transcoder to convert FLAC or WAV to WMA lossless. dBpoweramp Batch Converter which is free cannot do that work for thousands of files at once like I did to convert FLAC to WAV. I've tried AVS Audio Converter also, it can convert tons of files at once butit added an audio logo to each track if it is not activated.

I have downloaded Sound Forge Pro 10.0 for a trial but I did not test it (look impressive and hard to use).

Why not MediaMonkey, it's free.

You can import your FLAC's and/or WAV's, select them all and convert these files to WMA lossless with one command.

Edit:

I just see that I have MediaMonkey Gold, I payed in 2004 $30,00 for a lifetime license.

Maybe the batch conversion is only available in the Gold version.

I completely forgot I once payed for this license.

Rock'n'Roll, I have converted more than 2.000 tracks today with Audio Transcoder (12 hours to do the work, 10 tracks each time).

Tomorrow I will use MP3tag which I know very well before importing tracks in Sonic Stage.

And perhaps I will convert all tacks in Atrac Lossless and make a backup on a DVD before transfer to MDs.

Just for the Verve Jazz Club collection (150 CDs)...

Thanks to

kalkie

I have two back-up's on two separate external discs of all my allmost 10000 original ripped and downloaded files (flac's and vbr mp3's) and delete all the intermediate files such as the WMA's and the OMA's produced at transferring to MD. So I can allways follow the traject again if needed and I can transfer the files to other not ATRAC devices. The MD's are so reliable that I seldom need to transfer an album again to MD.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

This is an interesting topic, and even more so when it comes to GAPLESS playback.

I have a load of compilation albums which are mixed and need to be transferred without gaps.

I have the originals on my HD as FLAC lossless with metadata. To get these in to SS and transferred to MD without gaps, I have tried to first convert to losseless WMA - but that introduces a milli-second gap which is highly annoying.

Converting the FLAC to WAV first, in to SS, and then to MD works fine - but I lose the metadata and get a job to do manually fixing the tracknames. 

Any ideas how to fine tune this? I am not sure if it is an issue with the FLAC->WMA encoding, or WMA->ATRAC3 encoding... I am using media monkey to convert to WMA.

On 4/30/2021 at 8:14 PM, minidisc1978 said:

This is an interesting topic, and even more so when it comes to GAPLESS playback.

I have a load of compilation albums which are mixed and need to be transferred without gaps.

I have the originals on my HD as FLAC lossless with metadata. To get these in to SS and transferred to MD without gaps, I have tried to first convert to losseless WMA - but that introduces a milli-second gap which is highly annoying.

Converting the FLAC to WAV first, in to SS, and then to MD works fine - but I lose the metadata and get a job to do manually fixing the tracknames. 

Any ideas how to fine tune this? I am not sure if it is an issue with the FLAC->WMA encoding, or WMA->ATRAC3 encoding... I am using media monkey to convert to WMA.

These days, the easiest way to go about putting these onto a minidisc would be to use web minidisc or platinum.  Both support full quality SP transfers of FLAC over netMD.

5 hours ago, EnderIII said:

These days, the easiest way to go about putting these onto a minidisc would be to use web minidisc or platinum.  Both support full quality SP transfers of FLAC over netMD.

Yes, I guess it depends what you want, but neither of those support Hi-MD. Sony's X-App can handle FLAC in the music library, and will transfer it natively to Network Walkman's, but if you transfer it to MD it will convert it to PCM. So, same as with Sonic Stage if you want to convert it to Atrac / Atrac3+ then you need to decompress the FLAC to WAV first then import and convert to Atrac during the transfer to MD. My understanding is that neither PlatinumMD or Web Mindisc have software encoders in them (certainly not for SP), they just convert the files to WAV as well, stream them to the unit and then that encodes them to Atrac using the on-board chip. So they are also not as fast as the software level encoders I think, but I may be wrong.

* Topic moved to Software Section