DHC-MD373 MD/CD Player Recorder " blank disk"

Rate this topic

multispeed

Help please

I have just bought a DHC MD373MD/CD combined player recorder which will transfer music tracks from a CD ripped from windows media player recorded from Youtube to the MD but when I try to record a copyright protected CD it goes through the motions but when completed " blank disc" appears on the screen.

Does anyone no if it is possible to record from a protected cd or could the unit be faulty?

From an MD beginner

Ohhhhhhhh. I jumped too quick. Sorry for that, when you said it goes through the motions assumed that you could see the ticking clock as it recorded, and everything looked fine except at the end there was no recording.

So you can record something (else) and then take the disk out, and then put the disk back in, and the recording is there?

I'm very surprised there was no "Cannot copy" or some such message/error code. Perhaps there was but you didn't notice it.

If it's really protected then you have an SCMS problem. The only way to do it now is by analogue. Should happen automatically, sigh. Worst case, you can fool it by playing the disk on another unit and using an analog connection from that into your MD recorder. You won't be able to do it digitally. Since it's a web rip perhaps it won't be all that high quality to start with in which case it doesn't matter.....

(There's a way round SCMS but it will cost you a few hundred dollars mostly likely, some pro-oriented gear that gets rid of the protection).

I get the sense maybe you are using terms a bit loosely. Perhaps what you need to do is describe exactly the steps you took. What exactly is the recording source (a physical CD?), and how did you get it? The 373 plays only regular CD's, correct? (So it's not that these are MP3 tracks that you got from online, right?) What buttons on the 373 did you push exactly? What showed up on the display of the MD unit as the recording took place?

Sony always felt they had a responsibility to prevent you from making "unauthorized" copies of music - yet they sold all this gear allowing you copy music. So there are lots of restrictions to convince you and them (and the worlds of lawyers) that you're not doing anything you shouldn't.

Definatley No error mesage first "TOC" then "blank disk" when the recording is finished. I did get on one CD "protected CD" message on screen but then it went through all the usual stuff.

The recording source is various commercial CDs ( Columbia CD etc) bought from music shop about 20 years ago.

When recording the screen indicates "rec", "sync", "track no.", "level sync", "CD", " mins secs" "CD" rotating symbol, "MD" rotating symbol

Buttons pressed to start recording  " cd-md-sync" first then "MD"

But as I said before you tube files copied to blank CD and then to MD are OK

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Just to resurect this topic

The seller didn`t want it back so I have perceviered a bit more and found that the you tube problem was a red herring the actual; problem is :

It  burns and will then play a brand new minidisc from a commercial CD using "CD-MD sync". perfectly.

It wont burn an erased previously recorded  minidisc.

It appears to be actualy burning the previously recorded one because you get all the track no`s and track times coming up on the screen in real time and when complete after ejecting "Toc writing" on the screen but when you re-insert the minidisc and press play " blank disc" on the screen.

Any ideas again please?

Did you test the "CD-MD sync" as follows:

1. Do the transfer as you say it works

2. Remove the MD and also the power to the machine (not just standby, pull the mains wall plug out for 30 seconds)

3. Re-energize the machine and reinsert the disk.

Can you still read the TOC of the disk you made?