My 3D printed minidisc storage

Rate this topic

fyrebug

Hi all! So I've started a little project for myself. Minidisc never really caught on too well in canada so I won't be stmbling on any racks at the thrift shop anytime soon.
I've been looking for storage solutions, haven't been a big fan of the wine box idea, generally I haven't seen anything that really caught my eye.

For some reason it never dawned on me in the last year to 3D print some racks... I'm not sure why, I've been 3D printing everything else for years....

So I designed these up yesterday with some spare time. They're very rough still and very utilitarian. The larger one holds 10 discs and is meant to stack vertically (and has holes for nesting feet, and holes for screws).
The smaller one to the right I haven't tested yet but I am thinking of a wall unit that makes the discs look like they are floating out of the wall.

Edit wise I'm going to shrink the width by 2mm and perhaps put the discs at a slight downard angle rather than 90 degree so that if they were on an uneven surface, they'd still stay in the rack.

What do you guys think? Feel free to toss any ideas my way!

(also, for curiosity sake, the larger one took 8 hours to print! 3d printing is pretty cool but it's still a very slow process.)

(The render)

minidisc_rack01.jpg
and printed
minidisc_rack_printed.jpg
  • Like 2

Just an update. printing blocks of 10 felt a little clumsy so I've changed the design to a more modular approach. the example image is of 2 rows tall, but it can be as tall as desired and added onto or changed at any time. in the second render I've changed the colors to show the different parts.

In this example 2 side panels are used in the upper level centre so that a minidisc player could be put on display instead of just discs (that's what the grey block represents). Or double sided rails could be swapped in and you could put discs there. It's like lego.

The connectors slide into place back to front.

minidisc_rack03.jpg

exploded view

minidisc_rack03b.jpg

Regarding the smaller one in your first post:

You might have trouble getting discs to stay in, with so little of the rack 'gripping' the case. Maybe extend the slots all the way from left to right?

Or if you design them so that the rack is not 'flush' to the wall (maybe clear by a cm or two), so that the empty space serves as a 'grip' as well?

Am i making sense with either of my suggestions? It's kinda clear in my head, but writing it out is messy ;p

Again, great work!!

Regarding the smaller one in your first post:

You might have trouble getting discs to stay in, with so little of the rack 'gripping' the case. Maybe extend the slots all the way from left to right?

Or if you design them so that the rack is not 'flush' to the wall (maybe clear by a cm or two), so that the empty space serves as a 'grip' as well?

Am i making sense with either of my suggestions? It's kinda clear in my head, but writing it out is messy ;p

Again, great work!!

yup making sense and I like the idea of there being some wall space! the main idea behind the wall design is simply making a rack that uses less material. thus cheaper to produce, but also kind of cool.

I am thinking with the wall unit I could angle the disc slots at a slight downward angle and that might help hold them in. I haven't tested this setup yet becuase I wasn't sure if I really liked it or not.

And thanks for the positive feedback guys!

It looks like there's interest in this idea so once everything fits together I'd print high quality masters, then make rubber molds. after that I can make lots of duplicates. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very cool indeed.  I love it when people DIY and share their work.  I'd be interested if you take any of these to the level of being able to sell, even on a small scale to enthusiasts (such as us).  I particularly like the larger units like the 2nd one you posted.

Keep up the great work!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...