Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShriDurga

Sony is no longer an electronics company

Rate this question

Question

...after years of promising "One Sony," CEO Kaz Hirai appears to be systematically breaking the company up for sale. The VAIO PC division was sold last year and just announced its first hybrid laptops as an independent company, and Hirai told investors that he has to consider spinning off the smartphone business and possibly selling the TV business outright.

According to Hirai, that leaves Sony with three main businesses at its core :

1. Sony Pictures Entertainment, the hit-or-miss Hollywood studio that just fired Amy Pascal after being hacked to bits at the end of last year.
  2. The PlayStation division, which has so far won the next-gen console race with the PS4 but yet to define a clear mobile strategy; PlayStation Mobile is all but ignored, and the Vita is a beautifully noble failure.
  3. Selling image sensors to Apple for the iPhone.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/18/8063269/sony-electronics-future-selling-off-pc-smartphone-tv

2 answers to this question

We need a Sony time machine. It would look like an Aibo and ask you when you want to go to. Anywhen from 1979 to 1999.

It's disappointing - our entire house is filled with Sony stuff, especially since Sony gave me my "Sony (X)" membership a couple of years ago...

But with every passing day, all of our favorite products are being sold-off and now, there's not much left for us to buy anymore.

Adding to the above, there's talk that Sony are considering ditching the mobile devices (smartphones, phablets and tablets) - at this rate, they'll be next to nothing left of Sony in a few short years!

I'm a "glass is half full" sort of guy and I was initially glad to see Kaz put in the chair... But I have to say, my confidence in the future of Sony is faltering and I have doubts that there'll be much left when Kaz is done.