I need help with an NZ-R500

Rate this topic

Jaak

I have an MZ-R500 and it's developed a problem where it will not read the disc correctly every other attempt, but only when the player in horizontal.  When the player is placed veryicaly (on one of its edges) it plays every time with out a problem.

The reading errors vary from a simple 'ERROR' after spinning a reading for an abnormaly long time or 'TOC ERROR' after only a short read time, to having garbled track titles and audio stalling while the player tries to read more of the disc into memory.  Because the player never gives me a 'No Disc' error I am assuming that it is most likely not the laser (but still could be).  

Are there any known problems with this player that could explain the problems I am having?

Almost anything that interferes with the servo system (MD is all servo-feedback-based). Mechanical, electrical (connections), power (adjustment), you name it.

Any good with electronics? Maybe you have to disassemble it, check it out and run the alignment tests. But you really can't do much unless you have at least one other working MD device which you can generate disks with and also test the disk written by your misfunctioning machine.

I had a similar problem (but the other way round) with a Sharp MT170. It would work fine when it was laying down flat but as soon as I stood it up the disc would skip and jump all over the place. Which meant it was fine at home lying on kitchen table but I couldn't carry it about in my pocket.

I'm afraid I never sorted the problem though, once I realised how cheaply I could get another one I decided it wasn't really worth bothering about. You should be able to pick up another R500 pretty cheap.

I suppose your biggest problem might be the postage. I don't know how common the R500 was in the USA and if you get one from the UK it might cost more to post it than the actual player costs. Still, there's always other similar models to consider if location is a problem.

Almost anything that interferes with the servo system (MD is all servo-feedback-based). Mechanical, electrical (connections), power (adjustment), you name it.

Any good with electronics? Maybe you have to disassemble it, check it out and run the alignment tests. But you really can't do much unless you have at least one other working MD device which you can generate disks with and also test the disk written by your misfunctioning machine.

Sorry for the late reply, it's been busy.  

I am very good with electronics.  I work at a TV repair shop but have very little experience with anything other than TVs.  I have worked on a total of two CD players and one Mini Disc.  The Mini Disc just had a dirty lens so that one was an easy fix.

I also have a second working Mini Disc recorder that is working fine so that covers your requirements.  Are there any details that you can give me when it comes to checking out the condition of the servo system in the MD unit?

Sure. Let's meet for coffee one of these days (I'm unavailable this week).

The biggest resource is the service manual from Sony.

The second biggest resource is common sense. Like spotting if the sled doesn't move well, for example.

Stephen