Which MDS-JE decks series support MDLP?

Rate this topic

brook392

i´ve not been able to hear a sound difference in my JB980 compared to the ja333 when playing MDLP.

In general most units support MDLP that were made from 2000 on.

440/640/470/770/480/780/980

I recommend the JE640 as it has many many nice features.Ok it is not Type-S ..

Did anybody ever notice any sound improvements when comparing type-R/S Decks in MDLP mode ?

When budget is not that problem i would go for a JA 333 of course.

Imo the best looking Deck too :-)

i´ve not been able to hear a sound difference in my JB980 compared to the ja333 when playing MDLP.

I recommend the JE640 as it has many many nice features.Ok it is not Type-S ..

Did anybody ever notice any sound improvements when comparing type-R/S Decks in MDLP mode ?

When budget is not that problem i would go for a JA 333 of course.

Imo the best looking Deck too :-)

What about the difference between the JB980 and the JA333ES with SP mode (type R / no type R recordings) ?

No, that is not correct.

As punkrockaddict noted:

Of these, the JE440/470/480/770/780/640 all support MDLP.

The 980 is the JB series, not JE, although it does support MDLP (Type S).

Of the JE's, only the JE480/780 have Type S, the others are Type R. MDLP support in both cases.

The JE4*0 series is typically easier to find than the others.

oh thank You for info. Im using MDS-JE510 and as far I can see now 510 is far inferior to 440, 480..models. Im looking for new model, not really happy with JE510, constant problems with loading discs...The JB series are pretty pricy, maybe I will stick with JE, any recommendations?

thnx

The 510, true, is probably not as good a recorder as any of the JEs already discussed. That's because the 510 has ATRAC 4.0, while the others have Type R or S. And of course, the 510 has no MDLP support. One feature the 510 does have that is missing in the 440/470/480 is an optical digital out. If you do not care about this feature, then I would say go with the JE480. It has Type S and if you are handy, it is said you can add optical out to the 480 (same for 440 and 470, both of which are Type R).

Anyway, if you're going to stick with JE, then consider the JE480, simply b/c of its Type S. You should be able to find one of these on ebay or craigslist. Where you're in NYC, craiglist might have more in the way of MDs...and generally lower prices. If you do happen to come across a JB940 that is in your price range, you might want to consider that instead of the JE4*0s. The 940 does have optical out.

The JE700 does not support MDLP. Its major claims to fame IMO are its 1-bit DAC—what Sony calls "current pulse"—and its R-Core transformer.

Type S is supposed to enhance playback sound quality for LP modes, more so than Type R. Everything else being equal, I think it does that.

If a JE640 turns up, that would nicely replace the 510. A bit hard to find, though, at least in the US.