Sony MDS-W1 Dual MiniDisc Recorder Deck

Rate this topic

MDS_W1

Hi everyone. I didn't see the new members area, so i'm posting here first.  I'm the proud new owner of a Sony MDS-W1 dual MD recorder deck.  I'm looking for a PDF of the owners manual.  Also, does anyone know how to copy pre-recorded MDs?  Thanks. 

Also, does anyone know how to copy pre-recorded MDs?  Thanks. 

The Disc->Disc 1Tr Move function will not work with pre-recorded MDs, because it requires a writable source disc.

You still have two options:

1. you can do a digital copy from deck A to deck B by selecting A-MD input on deck B,

2. or an analog copy by selecting ANALG A-MD input on deck B.

Then:

1. play the pre-recorded disck on deck A, and record on deck B,

2. copy the track names one by one with Disc->Disc Name Copy on deck A.

User manual is available at http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3862570121.pdf

The Disc->Disc 1Tr Move function will not work with pre-recorded MDs, because it requires a writable source disc.

You still have two options:

1. you can do a digital copy from deck A to deck B by selecting A-MD input on deck B,

2. or an analog copy by selecting ANALG A-MD input on deck B.

Then:

1. play the pre-recorded disck on deck A, and record on deck B,

2. copy the track names one by one with Disc->Disc Name Copy on deck A.

User manual is available at http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3862570121.pdf

If I do a real-time copying of the pre-recorded MD, won't it recompress it again with ATRAC?

Re: Lossless copying using the MDS-W1. Not sure this is quite what you're looking for, but maybe it will help in some way.

A while back, when it looked like I was going to acquire a W1 (never happened), someone told me about this trick, which I have saved just in case. I have not edited this in any way, but it's pretty much self-explanatory.

If you mean SCMS bits, they are completely ignored when cloning a track or a disc, that is they are duplicated along with the tracks, without limitation.

The reason is that the cloning procedure uses the disc to disc track MOVE operation, which creates copies of the original tracks on the target disc, and then ERASEs the original tracks on the source disc. It is clear that moving tracks should not be limited in any way (and that SCMS bits should be moved along) because no extra copy is created in the process.

After moving one or more tracks, I eject the target disc, enter service mode and exit it. This procedure transforms the disc to disc MOVE into a lovely but undocumented lossless disc to disc COPY, because exiting service mode ejects the source disc without writing the TOC! The source disc is left intact, the "deleted" tracks are back, untouched.

You can imagine how happy I felt the first time I verified the procedure, that I had figured out *before* acquiring the double deck. It worked perfectly, creating an island of health and sanity in this DRM contaminated world. Had they trusted their customers, omitted SCMS and DRM in the first place, Sony would have conquered the world of digital music recording.

Hmmm...it seems that there are limitation to the MDS-W1 in terms of copying pre-recorded MDs or cloning other MDs without the system erasing the source disc.  Why would Sony do this?  If I see that the MDS-W1 isn't doing what I thought it could do, I may consider selling or trading it in.