Sonic Stage + Win 7

Rate this topic

fengari

I have 2 MZ-N707's. Until recently I had SS43 Ultimate working perfectly using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. When I originally installed SS I don't recall any problems. All I want to do is transfer files between my PC and my MD's

My hard drive showed signs of failing for replaced it. However SS will not run. It seems to load up - the icon appears in the start menu, Net MD appears in the Devices & Printers. Net MD driver show under USB controllers with no yellow ticks.

When I try to run SS it appears to open but is immediately covered by an error message which reads " The selected music file cannot be played back because the system informatopn has been changed. Click Ok to automatically close SonicStage and open the SonicStage and open Sonic

Stage System Information Restore Tool"

It does not matter whether I choose OK or try to close the error message I cannot open SS.

I would appeciate any help in resolving this problem.

Tony

This behaviour is, unfortunately, by design.

You have three options for your existing ATRAC files

1. Go back to the old hard drive and convert them with the File Conversion Tool

2. Go back to the old hard drive and do a Sonic Stage backup followed by a Restore to the new drive

3. Forget SS for these files and use VLC forever more. Won't play AAL but SS will since they are not locked to the old hard drive.

The regulars here have learned to run the FCT once a week or whenever they add new files.

Sorry for your loss... it's not completely irretrievable though.

Thanks for your rapid response.

When I had to replace my hard drive I was not too concerned about saving my SS database as most of MD files were dropped down from language learning CD's (yes ATRAC still beats MP3 when it comes to the spoken word).. What I intended was to have a clean install of SS and then drop down these files as and when I needed them

I've tried clean installing several times but the same problem occurs - The SS title page comes up to be instantly covered by the error message. Therefore I can't even use SS to burn a CD or make MP3 file even if I wanted.

Is there any way to get a clean install as if for the first time?

Thanks

Tony

Did you try letting it run the Sonic Stage Information Restore tool? I'm certain you have to be connected to the internet before it will re-authorize anything. Some reference to the internet is likely causing a crash, especially if you have Windows Firewall on (Hint: turn it off, for now) or if you are running some kind of "protective" anti-virus software.

If it won't let you do that, the files may well be on the HD that allow you to recover everything. Don't delete anything yet.

If you can see the NetMD this means it's connected. DON'T CONNECT IT (physically) right now. Most likely of all is the program is attempting to load the wrong NetMD driver. You can always inject the right one later.

Thanks

I have tried running Sonic Stage Information Restore Tool both with the firewall on and off. As you will from the attached screen captures it seems it might be trying to connect to the internet. But I can't get beyond the final screen.

I can't find any files on my old hard drive other than the original SS43 Ultimate Zip and the those extracted at installtion.

I'm sure there must be solution. However if there isn't then it will have to be goodbye to MD. Without Net MD the whole process of transferring files become to tedious and time consuming. A great shame.

Tony

post-116493-0-67675400-1431363005_thumb.

post-116493-0-86630000-1431363018_thumb.

post-116493-0-69215000-1431363034_thumb.

At least we have confirmed that the internet was part of the problem.

However you won't get anywhere on this hard disk unless you have both:

a. the old files and database backed up with Sonic Stage backup tool

b. the internet server working (sometimes it does go down) and no block to your connection to it. Do you use proxy server? Do you have any other anti-malware tools installed. TURN THEM ALL OFF.

Nothwithstanding, you should be able to start a completely new installation. Thousands have done it.

First, go through and clean up the device map and get rid of all hidden NetMDs. (See the stickied post on how to fix the slow upload problem on MZ-RH1)

Then get some sort of registry cleaner if you really want to rid the new hard disk of everything to do with SS. However, see below.

The files you care about on your old HD are (I think) in

C:Program Files (x86)Common FilesSony SharedOpenMGOMGRIGHT (that directory is hidden!)

While you're poking around down there you can try and copy all that stuff in OpenMG over top of the same thing on the new HD.

What I don't understand is why a complete install OVER THE TOP OF WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY doesn't work. Provided that you don't try to connect NetMD devices for now.

Good. Don't forget to install the NetMD760 device driver (64 bits) for each and every device you need to use with SS. Otherwise the SS install will try and use the 32-bit versions.

One more thing: a word to the wise. Turn off automatic updates to prevent Windows Update from mashing any of the DLLs that SS depends on thereby ruining any still-encrypted OMA files. If you decrypt regularly you ought not to have this problem, but the standard Windows install comes with a bunch of maintenance tasks that run at all hours of the day and night.