Should I stop buying MD units?

Rate this topic

ggabriele3

I got back into this hobby recently and I love how the Sony player/recorders look and sound. 

Hitting eBay hard the past few months, I now own:

-MZ-R70 (new condition)

-MZ-R70 (good condition)

-MZ-E55 (very good condition)

-MZ-E90 (good condition)

-MZ-R90 (very good condition)

and yet, I kind of want an E44, R50, and a better-condition E90 if I can find them. Also the red/blue versions of all of these.

Tell me to stop?

yes i would stop as there is no point in just hording these units. I myself have stopped with 5 portable units and 2 full size machines and although it is tempting to just carry on iv'e decided to call a halt and trust you will do likewise 

Sensible. 

Part of the excitement is that I can actually afford to buy a bunch of units now, whereas I was 18 and broke when they first came out. So it's like I'm on some teen game show and I won a shopping spree inside a Best Buy

• Like 1

Funnily enough I have found myself in the same boat. Since getting back into MD a month or so ago I have picked up an MDS-JB980, MZ-E909, MZ-N910 and an MZ-N710. The perils of eBay.

Had a number of other units on watch lists too but have decided to call a halt to my buying before it gets out of hand ;)

Funnily enough I have found myself in the same boat. Since getting back into MD a month or so ago I have picked up an MDS-JB980, MZ-E909, MZ-N910 and an MZ-N710. The perils of eBay.

Had a number of other units on watch lists too but have decided to call a halt to my buying before it gets out of hand ;)

I get this feeling like it's all going to disappear some day...and i should have backups. It's like I'm playing Fallout 3 carrying 40 assault rifles just so I can repair my main one.​

I have, however, made a pact with myself not to bother with any of the NetMD units. I'm only looking for the MZ-R and MZ-E models through the *90.

Decks seem to do quite a lot of cleanup especially of analog signals that portables do not.

I've actually just been recording from lossless --> optical --> portable recorder so far.

And ​if I got a deck I'd want to get at least one of the units has keyboard input, and i should probably just stick with portables.

You need to stock up on blanks too!

Oddly enough 2 of the units I bought were purchased only because they came with a lot of blanks. This includes the beat up R70 (actually in pretty good shape, except that the FFWD button is kind of mushy)...

...and the comically-large Sharp MD-MS722 which was advertised as being in "great condition" but was dirty, had a huge dent in the top that prevented discs from loading, a non-working battery, and 2 missing screws. I fixed all those things, and now I have a like-new totally functional MD-MS722 that I can't bring myself to carry. It's more than double the size of my E90.