Sony Insider Forums
soulmaster10

Windows 10

Also Steve, those registry items don't exist for me in Win10. Similar but not that. Also went to another post about this and tried to locate their regkeys that they removed that got SS working. And again, those reg items are not in my regedit.exe display

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!! Another thing that I would be tremendously grateful for is if you would be so kind as to provide me with a link to the SS Ultimate full installer. The one on this site that you spoke of earlier. 

THANKS!!!!!!!!:mellow:.

What the f**ck is the problem? I have uninstalled the program, and carefully searched my entire file system for any files having to do with sonic stage.  This is the first time I uninstalled it and reinstalled it any it did not keep the file structure. This is good so I know I installed a "fresh copy" on my system. But alas, same message. I am so frustrated and out of ideas for this. WTF??? Please help me!!!!! :-(

Hey..Ive been doing fairly well now in regards to keeping the program running. But the SS 4.3 Ultimate Version 2 that you directed me to download has a bit of a major flaw. It wont let me drag and drop folders, or music files as I used to do. I have a ton of folders with album titles and broken out and as we all know we cant selelect an entire folder to import to sonicstage, we have to drag and drop. This is a big flaw. Its gonna take hours to transfer all the tracks individually, not to mention cataloging all of them.

I am so so frustrated I'm on the verge of retiring MiniDIsc forever. I love them but they are just causeing me a ton of stress and a splitting migrane.

Any thoughts? Is it just not working for me??

From my POV drag and drop has never worked. But SS is quite useful even for post-MD devices that DO support drag and drop from Windows.

Why on earth can you not import an entire folder? I'm mystified. This sounds exactly backwards from my experience. The ONLY problem is that folders on the PC can only be one level deep, mirroring the (primitive) structure on MDs.

On 2/21/2016 at 1:06 PM, Kona702 said:

Also Steve, those registry items don't exist for me in Win10. Similar but not that. Also went to another post about this and tried to locate their regkeys that they removed that got SS working. And again, those reg items are not in my regedit.exe display

Well you will probably have to look in the "Windows 32" portion of the registry which is something like <blah>/WOW6432/<more blah>

But the easiest thing is to look for the later part of that registry path using the Find command in regedit.

This is terrible...I have always dragged my music files by entire album named folder to the SS program running in "my library" view. Suddenly no matter what version I try to install I get the ubiquitous "non smoking" circle with the slash when I hover my mouse over the prog. Now it doesn't matter what I try....what version, what configuration....3.4, 4.3, 4.3 ultimate...etc....it doesn't work. I know it has worked like this in the past because that is the way that I loaded up and managed my ss library for more than a DECADE. I would say its a problem with widows 10 but I have had it working just fine before on win 10. I am so frustrated  I am pulling my hair out. I used to drag an entire folder (named as the album) and even if there was no album info on the individual tracks, it would conveniently save the group of tracks as an album with the folders name that I dropped. There was even an annoying error sometimes if even if ONE of the files was already imported to the lib. I would get the message "Can not register tracks not registered with sonicstage"....(or something to that effect.) Now it wont even let me try to drop in the first place. This problem is CRIPPLING for me. I am lost, confused, and upset. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is it my computer??????!!!!!!!!!!! I love sonicstage for all music management (I know most don't) and just not just for MD transfer, but CD creating as well....and for my ATRAC CD Players and head-uint. Also I LOVE my HI-MD format and I don't want to lose it and have to abandon it! :-( But if I cant figure this out then I guess it's the end for me..... ***tear rolls down cheek*** :-(

1 hour ago, sfbp said:

You cannot use drag and drop. Period.

That is'nt true, I use SS 4.3 ultimate version from the download section and windows 10 32 bits and I can I can drag and drop complete maps (directories/folders) into SS without any problem.

But normally I use the menu File -> Import -> one of the three options Scan Folder... or Music File... or M3U File..., so drag and drop is not really needed.

Interesting. It's never worked for me, I gave up a long time ago - last time I tried my library got horribly messed up. Maybe it's something to do with the default locations of the library?

Sorry for any confusion - maybe you can shed light on Kona's problem? I agree with you though, selective import by clicking the required folders is always successful (for me).

I really don't know wat Kona's problem can be, I don't do anything special as far as I know.
I use the defaults of SS during the install, I only change the folder for the converted and ripped files to a folder on an external drive.

My main music library contains mp3 and flac files (> 10.000 tracks) and is kept in MediaMonkey, my library in SS is always empty, I import only the files I want to put on MD into SS, after the transfer to md I empty and optimize the SS library again. I convert the flac files I want to put on MD to WMA lossless in MediaMonkey (a copy into a special folder), I import the needed mp3's and the WMA lossless files into SS.

I just tried drag and drop and I can indeed drag and drop a folder containing subfolders (artists) which contains also subfolders (albums) which contains the tracks, into SS, I got the artists and the albums with the tracks just like importing with the menu. Only the artists and the albums containing supported musicfiles are imported into SS, so not the albums containing only flac files. I can drag and drop a folder containing flac files without an error message but nothing happens in SS.

All my mp3 and flac music files are completely tagged in Mediamonkey and organized in folders music/artistname/albumname/tracnumber-title. I don't save the OMA files, if needed I convert the files again from mp3 (vbr via ffdshow) or flac.

edit: Maybe Kona's problem is simple a lack of free space (probably the C drive) and is deleting temporary files the solution, also deleting temporary files in SS can help (Tools->Options->Advanced settings->Delete).

Maybe it's the auto-play function then. Ie If you drag a file to SS, does it play? And does it get copied, or are there traces of the copy left either on disk or in SS database, when it stops playing? This will all be connected to the default actions for various file types. I predict disaster if your computer had some other software (VLC, WMP. RealPlayer, Foobar2000...... ) that handled things when you double clicked MP3's. If you only imported OMA's then perhaps less problems.

It has nothing to do with auto-play, drag and drop works exactly the same as importing a folder with the menu options.
The metadata gets in the database of SS with a link to the original fysical file, no copy is made and playing does not start, you can convert, transfer, play and so on just like the other imported musicfiles. You can drop all supported musicfiles, mp3, wma, wav, atrac and so on without any problem.

At least it works in the configuration as I have (see above).

I'm sure everything you say is true. I am also reluctant to mess up my main SS installation. However I will mess around on another machine and see if i can work out what's going on.

2 hours ago, sfbp said:

I'm sure everything you say is true. I am also reluctant to mess up my main SS installation. However I will mess around on another machine and see if i can work out what's going on.

Don't lose too much time with this problem, I don't understand why Kona702 is so desperate about this drag and drop problem, there are other ways to import music into SS. SS is a rather old program with some bugs in it but we can mostly live with SS. It's almost a miracle that you can still make SS working under Windows 10. A few weeks ago I got some problems with SS, some misbehaviour and hang-ups. I think because of some updates of Windows 10 or other programs. I used IObit uninstaller to remove SS and OpenMG, I deleted every folder and subfolders with Sony, Sony Corporation or Sonicstage in the name thus also the MDB databasefiles and I cleaned the register with CCleaner. After doing so I installed the latest version of ffdshow and the ultimate version of SS and now everything I do with SS works flawlessly. I could do this without problems because, as I wrote above, I start always with an empty database and import only the files I need at that moment else I had to made at first a copy of the database (.mdb access files).

Yeah, probably some Microsoft Access database maintenance utility might work wonders. I've poked around, but never tried to interfere with SS's manipulation of its DB.

I went back to an old machine running a very old version of Windows (2000) and a small SS database that didn't matter, and sure enough, the ability to drag a folder of .OMA files (note: not ".oma" as these files were already un-DRM-ed, aka decrypted) and drop on the title bar of SS, is there and performs as expected. A new folder is created according to the rules I would expect it to be named by.

This suggests (pro tem) that something happens on other installations. IF (and that is a huge assumption) this is to do with recent versions of Windows, I'd expect there to be something weird about character sets and the way they are processed by Microsoft Access (a.k.a. the Jet database).

But I definitely saw crazy stuff that I didn't understand happening under XP, and that was when I gave up on this feature. Long before I had an SS library with 100+GB of ATRAC in it.

Idly wondering if the setting (Mine is set to "do nothing")

Tools->Options->Download Music

is responsible? If you had it set to play all the music you just added, would that cause the bad behaviour?

Mine setting is also "do nothing", but if I check "Start to play" the behaviour is just the same. Importing music and download music are two different things, I think download music relates to the old music service Sony Connect. I can drag and drop all the supported music files, I tried mp3, wma, and atrac (protected and unprotected).

To be honest I never tried drag and drop in all those years I use SS, the question of Kona702 made me trying it and now I use it when I want to import some music.

Hehe, I may have stumbled on the answer.

When I did the above test, I used a folder with 14 tracks in it that hasn't been touched in a couple of years. Just now, I was synching that entire music directory (100GB+ but not the SS-DB itself) for backup to another machine. Imagine my surprise when I observed that the 14 source files have been altered. I've seen this behaviour from time to time, prompting me to update files which should not have changed, on the basis of a new datestamp (and possibly contents. who knows?). But only now did I connect together that they may have been touched by SonicStage.

If the folder being imported into SonicStage by Drag and Drop is read-only, you may have a serious problem. Evidently it's trying to write to the source folder. Bad bad bad idea, Sony!

May be it has to do with the settings: Tools->Options->Advanced settiongs check or uncheck the checkbox under "Rename music files"?
Otherwise I don't know in what situation SS changes the sourcefiles, only the metadata in the database should be changed and read-only should be no problem.