mick_t

Beginner MD Recorder

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2016 at 4:27 PM, sfbp said:

I actually like the PCLK - it is highly reliable. And the PC3 is a gem, given that you can't do the remote PS/2 (well, can you????) with the non-Japan version of 940.

Sorry I thought you were asking if the 940 had a PS2 port... No it does not work with the PCLK MN 10.

NGY, thanks for the thoughts... It's easy to always wonder if upgrading your gear could improve SQ... I'll try to be content.

On 10/17/2016 at 5:47 PM, mick_t said:

SFBP, you are the one who mentioned that MD accepts 44.1kHz rather than 48kHz and that is what has me confused... Could you elaborate as to why the PCLK MN 10 is a better fit for converting to MD Recording? You mean the output is in 44.1kHz no matter in the USB input?

Well one problem with most PC sound cards is that many of them output 48 Khz regardless, meaning a double sample conversion if you record back to MD. Whilst this is perfectly fine on uncompressed PCM 1411 bps data, it messes up otherwise fine MDLP recordings.

But the "reliability" thing is that regardless of what you plug it into:

a. there always seems to be a good strong signal at the other end (and I have pushed that to its limit by having the TOSlink at or above the specified maximum length, which is exactly when some optical sources suddenly discover they don't really have enough "oomph").

b. it always (eventually) shows up as a sound card even in Windows 7-64 (and presumably the later 64-bit versions). I have tried to figure out why, but I am too dumb - there's some override, grandfathered mechanism whereby this is recognized as a sound card even though there is apparently no match for the ID's in the configuration files. I'm sure someone will put me straight, but I confess myself mystified.

Perhaps I should write "determined" rather than "reliable" but it would sound even more confusing.

Hi! I have a HiMD MZ-RH10 recorder with dark display. If I buy RM-MC40 ELK remote controller, can I use all functions again? Most importent is recording. Thanks! 

Probably a good plan. I may have time to try this out, but don't hold your breath.

Tested. Works great. You can probably get away with one of the other LCD backlit devices such as RM-38EL.

I see on the MD Equipment Browser for the MDS - PC3 it says "Sample Rate Converter 48/32kHz to 44.1kHz, 24-Bit Analog-to-Digital Converter". I currently am using my laptop for USB audio output into the PCLK - MN10 and then Optically to the 940. I have leàrned here that the 940 uses 44.1kHz and so I wonder if I used this same system into the PC3 if there would be any SQ difference. I am recording FLAC files onto MD and sometimes in LP2 mode.

The PC3 and 940 both have the Type R ATRAC chip. The 48kHz, which is what I assume you think will make the SQ diff, will wind up at 44.1 anyway on both machines (940/PC3). Wouldn't expect there'd be any diff in the SQ.

On 18.10.2016 at 1:27 AM, sfbp said:

I actually like the PCLK - it is highly reliable. And the PC3 is a gem, given that you can't do the remote PS/2 (well, can you????) with the non-Japan version of 940.

Hi

happy new year :-)

I read the whole thread and wanted to ask if there are some using the PC3 ?

I got a fully boxed PC3 lying around and never got to test it´s PC connection. Now i remember that i once read about it being the only unit capable of getting Track information through CDDB directly to the Disc. Is that a fact ? Anyway all my machines run Win10/64 so i would have to setup a new one to get M-Crew run ..?

I have a PC3, also an S50, and use  MCrew. Never recorded a CD directly from the PC CD player though, so I cannot tell its cddb capability, but I can check this for you.

You cannot get Mcrew to talk to the PC's disk when MCrew runs in the 32 bit virtual xp box on 64 bit windows!

i don´t mean CDDB to the Cd drive.I remember this was done to the MD.

SoS and the RH1 can´t do this .You have to import a MD to get CDDB data.

So is this what you mean: you insert an MD into the PC3 and you get the track information from cddb to the disc in MCrew?

yes. As i din never try this by myself i can only guess that this works. I´m pretty sure i read about this here in the Forums.

You could give it a try and tell me if it´s worth to setup a 3rd machine running 32Bit Winxp :-)

CDDB is for CD's. Period.

19 hours ago, NGY said:

you insert an MD into the PC3 and you get the track information from cddb to the disc in MCrew

No, this does not work, for the reason Stephen pointed out above.

Technically, it would not be a big deal to create the disc ID/information cddb uses and have it looked up for, so theoretically it could be possible to get the track titles for an MD, that is recorded straight from a CD. However, in case of custom mixed MD-s it would just be close to impossible - cddb is not designed to look up for individual tracks, even for CD-s (there could be huge number of song titles that could be associated to the same track length).

I tried the thing though, just to see, how MCrew works: once a CD is inserted, MCrew looks up in the cddb database (you need to be registered), and fills the CD track information. Then I copied a CD to MD via synchro rec, but first I deleted the cddb track titles in the CD window, to get an MD without any track titles. After recording completed, I ejected both discs, then re-inserted the MD, but MCrew did not bother. There is no cddb button at the bottom of the the MD window either (while the CD window has it).

All you can do with MCrew is to copy the cddb track titles during recording a CD to MD, or, cut&paste the text information you get in the CD window, into the MD window.

On 2.1.2017 at 10:15 AM, sfbp said:

CDDB is for CD's. Period.

happy new year :-)

that was what i have read.Kind of misleading isn´t it ? It´s M-Crew that looks up the Cddb for CD. I understood this wrong / maybe because my english sucks :-)

After all there´s no advantage for the PC3.I can title and get Cd info with SoS the same way..

So time to find a new purpose for the PC3.

3 hours ago, punkrockaddict said:

So time to find a new purpose for the PC3.

Price? ;-)