Sony Insider Forums
fourbanks

Sony MDS-JB 940 Static Mini Disc Player (fault)

Rate this topic

Nick, you won't be able to install the laser. Jim can do it. I can do it. Your electronic friend probably WON'T be able to.

thanks for letting me know i'm going to bid on a few on ebay to see how the land lies if you should see anything that is good then please let me know as i may indeed mis something 

Try this one: if you check the service manual you will find it has an MDM-7A which you can drop right in to your 940. Look in the service manual of any unit you find. The ones you need will be made in 2000 or 2001, and will have this type of drive, listed on the first page of the service manual in big letters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-MDS-JE470-MINIDISC-RECORDER-in-Silver-/221909035527

Alternatively, simply hang on to it. It does PC-Link which your 940 does not. To me that PC-Link connector is more valuable than the keyboard - however beware that I am not certain it does both. So if you need a keyboard model, keep looking. The JE770 does do both keyboard and PC-Link. Note that the x80 decks have a different, more advanced unit in them, which you do NOT want.

There's also this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-MDS-JE440-Mini-Disc-Player-/171975757516

However we have no idea what the auction will take it to. There are some wildly overpriced 440's listed as of today.

Any 440, 470, 640, or 770 uses the same MD unit and should be fine. There are frequently bargains on these, if you watch carefully. Check the completed listings to see what they typically sell for (it's an option under Advanced Search).

Stephen

well got my 5 belts today. Comparing the old with new, the old had stretched quite a bit! Just replaced the old one. I think best to  take off the hinged bit, rather than try and poke the belt thru the front? - not very hard after the tiny spring on the side has been pulled off ( I used a needle ) Then used a pair of tweezers I have never used before the put the new one on. Result one now fully working JB940. I am glad  this post was made by the op and the resulting links, as I would not have had a clue what the matter was. Sorry that his  attempts at remedy didnt succeed.

I am now pondering actually removing all the rubber bands of the 3 decks I have in storeage. Maybe the rubber deteriorates on its own but it cant help the rubber bands being stretched in storeage. Maybe be able to stave off the other belts  failing in storage?

On 17 September 2015 at 1:19 AM, sfbp said:

Dead easy. Just make sure you don't leave the belt twisted if it ends up that way after you first put it on.

If I recall correctly, this is roughly the sequence

Hi sfbp,

Your instructions were 100% OK and I was able to replace the belt with no problems using a special tool (the adapted paper clip).  

The only problem I had was when I re-assembled the player it didn't power up, it just remained on standby.  Well I hummed and I hawed and pressed the power on button 100 times but the obstinate thing refused to power up.  So once again I disassembled the player, jiggled the eject mechanism about a bit (think almost hitting with a hammer) and lo and behold it powered up and worked OK.  I have a spare belt which should come in useful in about 10 to 15 years (if I'm still alive).

I recently went into my attic a re-discovered a box of minidiscs about 500, mainly jazz albums, BBC Radio plays and other programmes.  So a lot of listening ahead.  

So once again many thanks.

2 hours ago, 940man said:

...the obstinate thing refused to power up.  So once again I disassembled the player, jiggled the eject mechanism about a bit (think almost hitting with a hammer) and lo and behold it powered up and worked OK.

You probably did not have the OP in proper parking position - see this discussion>> here <<.

Just a few - unintentional - turns of the gears at the back of the drive during disassembling/reassembling can slightly move the OP out and open the microswitch. The MDM7 mechanism family seems to be sensitive to this.

FYI-  I replaced the band in my MDS-JB940 over a year ago (actually closer to two years ago) with a actual "Rubber Band" that I got from a bag of rubber bands I bought at the dollar store.  I use the deck every week to record a radio show and it is working fine.   You don't have to worry about replacement sources just grab a rubber band.