Din Unlock C71 Error

Rate this topic

Hi

Trying to record from my stereo to my JE780 via the optical cable but I get the Din Unlock C17 error as soon as I press the record button.  Cable at both ends is seated correctly and is working correctly as far as I know.  Sony suggests a "power reset" but can't find how I do that.  Also, the Optical In doesn't seem to have a red light which I guess is the nature of the error; is there a simple fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

1. receivers don't glow, only transmitters

2. format of transmitted data must be something the MD can understand, i.e. 32/44.1/48kHz sample rate, 16/20/24 bits, PCM 2 channels (stereo).

3. Error is C71 or C17 but not both, you probably should re-read before posting if you want the folks here to help. It's ok in this case, we know what's going on.

Probably you need to reconfigure the output signal from ? (you omit to tell us what it is you are trying to record out of). It's not the fault of deck or cable.

Finally, beware the SCMS rules, there are plenty of signals which are copy protected and you won't be able to record with this equipment. To do that, you need "pro"-designated gear which ignores the "do-not-copy" designation on the output stream. However I am almost certain that in this case your problem is #2, since there would be a different message "cannot copy" at the deck.

There is not too much I can add to sfbp's excellent analysis, especially lacking info about the source, although I see you say "my stereo." (FTR, I'm going with #2.) However, I would like to note the following: I have an MXD-D40 connected via optical digital to an iMac. The iMac knows when an optical cable is connected and immediately configures itself appropriately, although there is a setting where the sample rate can be modified. In any case, with everything set up as it should be, I will still get the C71 error on the D40 when pressing Record until the D40 actually receives an active signal from the iMac; that is, not just connected, but something is playing.

Make SURE the 780 is set to optical input and that the source is, as noted by sfbp, 32/44.1/48kHz. Make SURE the source is not muted. Another slight possibility is a bad cable. This happened to me with a coax cable. I still have that bad cable and it still doesn't work. Never has happened with an optical cable, though.

• 4 years later...
On 10/15/2015 at 8:34 PM, torchomatic said:

Trying to record from my stereo... Din Unlock error as soon as I press the record button...

I have a similar error!
(no code number, Din Unlock just Din Unlock)
It doesn't matter if Im recording from a CD deck (with a Toslink cable), or from my Phono (with a RCA) and change the source(s) accordingly, I still get get this error.

I changed the blank discs and changed the Tousling cable. Finally I bought another Sony MD deck, second hand – No change, exactly the same error on both MD decks :(  
It skips the recording several times throughout one given song, it flashes DIN UNLOCK, therefore when playback, it has created several songs/tracks of the song I was recording (with skips)

I cannot figurre out what's wrong?!

DIN UNLOCK only refers to the digital inputs - TOSLINK (optical) or coax. Recording using phono analogue inputs with no source will just give you recorded quietness. Note however that a single RCA/phono plug is used for coax digital - but of course using the single orange-ringed digital port rather than one of the red/black ringed analogue ports! Can you clarify?

DIN UNLOCK means the deck can't 'lock' onto the data stream seen on a digital input. The deck is looking for a very specific format of data called S/PDIF which is a protocol to carry digital music data from one machine to another. In the case of CD/MD this would be two channels of uncompressed audio data.

That two MD decks give you the same DIN UNLOCK message suggests, much as the original thread, that the source device is either not sending anything, sending stuff in a format that can't be understood by the MD deck or there is some interconnect issue - broken cable, incorrect interconnection or incorrect input selection.

If the CD is connected to the MD via 2x RCA/phono then this is an analogue transfer and the MD input selector switch should be set as such. It is then impossible to get DIN UNLOCK - such a message makes no sense for an analogue input and suggests the MD input selector is in the wrong position.

First thing is to go back to your TOSLINK cable, plugged into the CD output. Ensure you can see a red spot in the end you are about to plug into the MD deck. Then ensure you plug this into an optical INPUT on your MD deck. Your MD deck might have optical in and out, and the connector is the same, so check. Then ensure you configure the MD to look at the input you've used. Again your MD deck might have multiple digital inputs, e.g OPT1, OPT2, COAX, so make sure you select the correct one. For TOSLINK this would be OPT1 or OPT2. If you've connected with an RCA/phono coax cable in the orange-ringed ports then of course COAX is the appropriate selection.

As you now have two MD decks, you could try linking those with your TOSLINK cable and see if you can record from one to the other. You could try this both ways round. This allows you to confirm the MD decks are ok in this respect, that you know how to set the input source and that your TOSLINK cable works. Combinations of this should allow you to isolate if the problem is with any of these pieces of kit. When experimenting, change one thing at a time and write down which combinations work and which don't.

And let us know here what models of CD and MD machines you're using then we can be more specific on machine settings.

Kevin

Kevin summarized very nicely what and where to look for and check (see also Stephen's post a bit above, for other angles)

The only thing I can add:

3 hours ago, R_V said:

It doesn't matter if Im recording from a CD deck (with a Toslink cable), or from my Phono (with a RCA) and change the source(s) accordingly, I still get get this error.

This reminds me a few cases (I saw on JE5xx decks), where the input selector switch was oxidized and sent a false (instable) signal to the MCU, of which input was to be used. Since it is a resistor-ladder between the switch and the MCU, it might happen, that even if it set to Analogue in, it turns back to Digital, caused by the faulty contacts. Then the MCU is looking for a digital signal that is obviously not there, as you were recording via the RCA, so the decks says this Din Unlock error.

Having said that, it is very unprobable, that two decks show the same error, although the probability is not zero. A cracked optical cable (or a blocked Toslink output on the CD deck) would be the first bet.

I am curious what you will find, please keep us updated.

Sounds to me like the outputting amplifier is sending any one of 88.2,96,176.4,192 Khz sampling rate data. You probably have to find a setting on the AMP to do "PCM downsampling" or something like that, for the digital output. Most makes don't allow digital output at all. In addition you have to turn off Dolby Digital, THX, DTS, etc etc and set for plain ol' 2 channels. 5 years ago when this post was started, digital streams with high data rates were probably not as common. In addition HDCP protection is there on a lot of sound sources such as movies, bluray SACD etc.

We need some more details: the make and model, which connector (Toslink or Coax), and which MD deck (the North American decks tend to have only Toslink, whereas the Euro-decks often have a digital coax connector in place of one optical).

I've gotten the DIN UNLOCK under a few conditions. Sometimes the signal to the MD was not 32/44/48 (most likely not the case direct from CD). Sometimes the Input on the MD was set incorrectly. Once it was a bad coax cable. When I'm recording direct from computer, that message persists until playback starts. I think all the suggestions so far are good—especially more information about the configuration.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 8:45 PM, NGY said:

Kevin summarized very nicely what and where to look for and check (see also Stephen's post a bit above, for other angles)

The only thing I can add:

This reminds me a few cases (I saw on JE5xx decks), where the input selector switch was oxidized and sent a false (instable) signal to the MCU, of which input was to be used. Since it is a resistor-ladder between the switch and the MCU, it might happen, that even if it set to Analogue in, it turns back to Digital, caused by the faulty contacts. Then the MCU is looking for a digital signal that is obviously not there, as you were recording via the RCA, so the decks says this Din Unlock error.

Having said that, it is very unprobable, that two decks show the same error, although the probability is not zero. A cracked optical cable (or a blocked Toslink output on the CD deck) would be the first bet.

I am curious what you will find, please keep us updated.

I didn't realised this answer was available... I just found my notification email in the Junk box!

Anyways, I got another Tousling cable, more blank MDs (some sealed and some not) and even a another MD deck (now I have two JE520, both from EU market).

I no longer get errors flashing on screen (with the second MD deck), but lots of skips throughout my recordings and do not notice them, until I playback the newly recorded songs. Initially I though it was due to my old, never used (4x) blank MDs, 
although blank, maybe they became corrupted somehow?

Then, when I tested new purchased blank MDs, they too record songs with several skips through any given song.  This is very frustrating as I cannot pin point the issue!
As my last resort, I record one song at the time, playback each song, and then record another song etc. The skips only happen on new recordings.  All my 20yo recorded discs play perfectly on either deck!

So briefly, I now have two MD decks that can only play well and not record.  I am starting to suspect the blank MDs have become corrupted somehow, not just my own, but other MDs I purchased (unsealed) as well.
I have owned the first MD deck (and most of my 200+ MD discs) for 20+ years. Never had an issue with setup, or cables, or Opt./Analog. options.
None of my MDs are original factory recordings. They were all purchased blank and I, recorded them all throughout my ownership.

I have RCA cables from both Phono/AMP and an Apple Mac and a Toslink from CD deck only.  These skips can happen from either source. But the music played (while recording) from either source is flawless. So I came to the conclusion, it's not the cables, it's not the source, nor the decks, perhaps the discs?  And even then, sometimes it records fine and sometimes not (even if it's the same song from same source) – it's like playing the lottery, really :mellow:

4 hours ago, R_V said:

I no longer get errors flashing on screen (with the second MD deck), but lots of skips throughout my recordings and do not notice them, until I playback the newly recorded songs.

Sounds like insufficient laser power for writing. What do the odometers show? On both 520's.

4 hours ago, R_V said:

These skips can happen from either source.

This supports my assumption above, too.

I really don't believe, if this was related to the discs. One disc, maybe two, OK, but not all of them. To compare: I had ~1400 discs, and only two of them was defective. One was a cheap Bestmedia, the other one was a TDK color. Nothing else ever. I recorded on multiple different decks and portables, in those rare cases when I did experience an issue, it always turned out that the problem was not media related.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:14 PM, NGY said:

Sounds like insufficient laser power for writing. What do the odometers show? On both 520's.

Thank you all for your responses

So after testing all again:

DIGITAL/Toslink:

• I still do have errors on screen saying DIN UNLOCK every now and then, but only when recording from CD (via Toslink cable) and on both MD decks.
  • Both JE520 decks show normal graphic level recorder meter. (going up or down as a song changes).  It just stops for 1-2 secs or so (and no sound), while showing DIN UNLOCK on the screen.
  • Everytime it flashes DIN UNLOCK, it also creates another track, while still recording the same song.  So I may be only recording the third song, but if it has shown 10x DIN UNLOCK, it also creates the same amount of tracks, on the MD disc.  This happens on both MD decks. 

(MD deck A, which I owned for many years, seem to have more DIN UNLOCK errors than MD deck B, which I purchased recently secondhand, to test my recordings, and has fewer DIN UNLOCK errors)

RCA

• Then, when recording from either PHOMO, or my Mac (via RCA cables) it simply skips/skids throughout any song, randomly.  Again, on both MD decks.
  • These two music sources are both RCA connected, to AMP, then AMP to MD deck, so there shouldn’t be “insufficient laser power”.
  • If the cables were the issue, I wouldn't be able to record anything, correct?  But sometimes I do, no skips, but it's like lottery...
  • The only thing I noticed, is the AMP’s RCA connectors/ports are starting to oxidise a bit… but this should not effect the digital recording from CD (via Toslink cable).
  • And similarly, both MD decks would not have the same issue with the Toslink port?

Double checked all cable connections again, used brand new (sealed) and other semi-new, blank (unsealed MDs) for all tests above,
Don't know what else to test, or report.

Thank you again.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:48 PM, R_V said:

I still do have errors on screen saying DIN UNLOCK every now and then, but only when recording from CD (via Toslink cable) and on both MD decks.

Again, this must be related to the source device and/or the cabling. TOSLINK receivers on both decks going south the same way and the same time is not really probable.

And I keep my theory of the faulty source selector switch.

If the cables were the issue, I wouldn't be able to record anything, correct?  But sometimes I do, no skips, but it's like lottery...

No, it is not correct. A broken RCA cable can show such a symptom. When either the middle wire or the shield is broken only, and only partially, say it still conducts electrically but the impedance is too high for the decks audio input circuits. Under a certain voltage treshold the signal will be considered as silence.

The only thing I noticed, is the AMP’s RCA connectors/ports are starting to oxidise a bit… but this should not effect the digital recording from CD (via Toslink cable)

Indeed, it should not. Now you are getting closer.

I believe you have multiple issues here, so you need to begin solving the case step by step.

At very first, I would connect the two decks via two, known good RCA cables, and try to record back and forth between the two decks, from a known good MD disc containing known good audio material. If no skips, your lasers are OK.

Next step is - as Kevin already suggested above - repeate this test with two known good TOSLINK cables between the two decks (and making sure the audio material on the test disc was recorded an originally from an analogue source). If no skips, all TOSLINK cables and transmitters/receivers on both decks are OK.

Then we go from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NGY said:

Hmmm.... that's interesting.

Normally, an MD deck uses laser power when writing to disc. From whatever audio source connected to the deck via whichever audio connection.

I misunderstood you, I thought you were referring to light from the Toslink cable!

Nonetheless, it's hard to believe these issue would be on both MD decks!?

TOSLINK uses a red LED as the light source, not a laser.

But on that note, yes, even a LED can provide insufficient light to drive another device's TOSLINK receiver, for multiple reasons. One, being dirty or objected by other means. Two, a cheap plastic Chxxxse "glass fibre" optical cable. Three, dry solder joints on the PCB. Etc., you name it - but I don' think this is the issue (might as well be - please do the two decks tests to rule this out).

11 minutes ago, NGY said:

Again, this must be related to the source device and/or the cabling. TOSLINK receivers on both decks going south the same way and the same time is not really probable.

As mentioned before, there are 3 separate source devices and would the same issues happen on both MD decks? 
I am also using new cables (Toslink and RCAs), new MDs, and a second JE520 just purchased...

2 hours ago, R_V said:

What are you referring to, the  level recorder meter? If so, their fine.

Nope.

In Service Menu, under ERROR DP, you can check the usage of the given machine's laser. This tells us the age and probable condition of it. Please do NOT change ANY settings there just as of yet.

Let's go step by step. You got all the directions, please go through accordingly - we must exclude possible causes one by one. There are multiple issues here definitely, and all you experience is an unfortunate "same on both decks" situation.

Now, this is the advanced level :-).

If you never entered the Service Mode on your decks before, please consider this "WARNING" first: in Service Mode, a single wrong step can make your device useless, or can kill your optical pick-up (essentially the laser). Therefore, please be VERY cautious what you do there.

Since this high risk involved, I don't feel very comfortable to be the one who'd recommend or tell you how to enter Service Mode. Nevertheless, you may want to consult the 520's Service Manual for the details. Again, be careful.

On 10/17/2020 at 3:01 AM, NGY said:

Again, this must be related to the source device* and/or the cabling. TOSLINK receivers on both decks going south the same way and the same time is not really probable.

At very first, I would connect the two decks via two, known good RCA cables, and try to record back and forth between the two decks, from a known good MD disc containing known good sudio material. If no skips, your lasers are OK.

Next step is - as Kevin already suggested above - repeate this test with two known good TOSLINK cables between the two decks (and making sure the aduio material on the test disc was recorded an originally from an analogue source). If no skips, all TOSLINK cables and transmitters/receivers on both decks are OK.

Tested recording between both decks with RCA cables - all good, no skips, no issues.
And have only been able to test recording w/ 1 Toslink cable (alternating IN/OUT), and it says: "Cannot Copy", on either MD decks.

I only have recorded MD discs. And they were all recorded from a digital source years ago.

* The initial recording issue, was,  while recording both via RCA, and Toslink. Doesn't make sense to me, as the source devices are different. 2 RCA and 1 Toslink (direct from CD deck).
If it was device issue, it would only affect either de device source using Toslink, or the devices connected via RCA to the AMP... but not both types of connection, correct?

† If it was cabling, I would have the same (skipping) issue while recording between decks, correct?  But I didn't!

Below is my basic setup, what can go wrong?  A bunch of RCA/TOSLINK/SPEAKER wires touching one another and having interference?

Pioneer HIFI SetUp.jpg

5 hours ago, R_V said:

Tested recording between both decks with RCA cables - all good, no skips, no issues.

Very good. Now we know, that your lasers are OK on both 520 decks. This is the most important thing in the given case.

The "Cannot Copy" thing has already been answered by Stephen - it has nothing to do with the skips, fortunately.

However we are not yet done with the 2 decks TOSLINK test - we want to understand both decks' in/out TOSLINK connections are working OK. They are, I am sure, because you got the "Cannot Copy", message, that means both decks were able to properly interpret the digital signal coming in, and activate SCMS, as Stephen noted above. But if you want to have it confirmed, please use an MD that has a recording from analogue source (see my words above: "(and making sure the audio material on the test disc was recorded originally from an analogue source)" - typos corrected). When doing the test, the source is this MD, and on reverse direction too, so you swap your discs too.

5 hours ago, R_V said:

what can go wrong?  A bunch of RCA/TOSLINK/SPEAKER wires touching one another and having interference?

TOSLINK will never have any interference with other analogue audio or even power lines. Never. That's one of the main points using optical connection between A/V devices.

What can go wrong?

Let me ask back, to see whether or not we could already reduce the possible causes:

- now, analogue recording between the two decks is fine, no skips, no errors. What is the case, if you do an analogue recording from your amp? Use any source - Phono, CD, video, tv, you name it. Any skips? If all OK, take the next one:

- now, if you use the direct TOSLINK connection between your CD player (just remove the coax digital line for the time of the test) and the MD deck, your 520's input switch is set to "digital", what is the case? Any skips? ( If still there are, I still keep to my theory of the faulty source selector switch.)

I wait for your answers and we take it from there.

On the 520 (like the one in front of me now), if the unit is turned on, then moving the input selector switch between the three settings should result in an appropriate input message on the display: Optical In, Coaxial In, Analog In. Moving that switch carefully between the options a few times should help clean the contacts.

Sorry for the lack of input from me, NGY's comments are far superior to any from me, but I will chip in if I have any thoughts to add, I am following!

Kevin

4 minutes ago, kgallen said:

Moving that switch carefully between the options a few times should help clean the contacts.

There you go. Thanks Kevin!

This would have been my next "quick and dirty" test too, right before recommending to properly clean the switch with some electrical contact spray.

But just as of now, I can't hold my breath :-) .

(I think he has a a non-Europe version, and the Coax option is not there on his 520-s.)

On the skips issue via TOSLINK I would also be interested in your answers to:

- Have you tried a number of different CDs

- Do you notice any difference in the skip issue between early tracks on the CD (inner radii) and later tracks on the CD (outer radii).

- (I've read the thread and I think this is already in the pipeline) Is there any chance we can do an MD to MD TOSLINK copy - make an analogue CD recording on the "best" MD machine to get a first gen disc then TOSLINK that across to the second MD deck. I'd like to factor out an issue with the CD machine.

- Another random idea is to test and be consistent with which way round the TOSLINK cable is used. Mark one end with some insulation tape. Try one way round then the other (in terms of which end is in the CD and which in the MD). Note if this makes any difference to skips or not. TOSLINK cables are not the most high-spec products and it's possible one end or the other doesn't mate so well with the connector in the CD or MD decks. This could cause significant transfer attenuation or light scatter which the receiver might not be able to handle. The receiver is trying to recover a clock signal as well as data from the optical stream. Jitter due to marginal receive power (light intensity) or multi-path effects can blur the interpretation at the receive end. This can cause the receiver to "slip" a bit of the data. Maybe I'm getting too deep here...!

- Maybe I've missed it - do we know the make/model of the CD player?

NGY - it's a bit of a long shot but I'm musing about bit slips on the digital transfer from the CD. Possible the CD XOSC is drifting out of spec? Just a wildas* thought out of the blue.

6 hours ago, R_V said:

I only have recorded MD discs.

I have re-read some posts above.

So funny, how a small typo suggests a totally different meaning to a given sentence (even if in the context it could have been straightforward): when I wrote "sudio" above, I wanted to type audio in fact, not studio - and it resulted in a totally different thought path for you, that I just realised...

See, letters "a" and "s" are next to each other on the keyboard, and given my crippled left little finger, I do this typo quite often.

I am always keen on correcting all those typos (or other mistakes) I made, but I simply cannot always notice them. Sometimes I don't even understand what I wrote previously :-) . At the end of the day, English is a foreign language for me, so I am not supposed to understand everything written in English :-P .

One other little detail. Depending on what software you used to create a CD-R, it (the CD) MAY be considered uncopyable, like a second generation MD. Bruce (Bluecrab) demonstrated this to me and sent me a CD with holes in it (not literally, but in the SCMS bit pattern!) to prove the point, which I still have. I suppose it's even possible that some tracks on a CD-R might be copyable, others not. But that's not what you're seeing, is it. You're getting skips.

Sorry for the interruption - regular programming now resumes :)

16 hours ago, R_V said:

Below is my basic setup

OK, new day, new ideas.

I know you got a lot of ideas recently, still I would prefer to follow one path at a time until it concludes to somewhere, either solution or dead end, then and only then move forward to the next, in order not to mix things in your head.

Without the intention of hijacking Kevin's and other's thoughts and ideas, I'd like to get back to your setup and the selector switch as a possible cause. I could not sleep last night, because this case in my mind (not true, I could :-) ).

One question to you: can you please confirm which version of 520 you have (see photos below)? From the information you provided so far I would conclude the first one (US/CND). However, on your drawing I see an MD deck with only one TOSLINK input and one output. I suspect it is not taken from a 520 documentation, is it?

The reason I am asking it is this: If you happen to have second type of 520 (EU and others), then my theory of the unstable switch is probably wrong. I can explain the "why" later.

If you have the US/CND version, you must have two optical inputs. In that case, can you please do your recording tests via TOSLINK first via OPT1, then repeat it with OPT2 - but without changing anything else, except for moving the optical cable from socket 1 to 2 and set the switch accordingly. Your source can be either your CD or the other MD deck. If my theory stands, you would get skips only in the second part, not the in first one. Again, explanations later, after you did the tests, and if this made any sense.

520 ver. 1 (US/CND):    1_520_US_sel_1.jpg.cbe54fc0ceabf73b92c572e316a56e1f.jpg   1_520_US_toslink_1.jpg.8ac2103a231b39c8242f1ed22d5cf039.jpg

520 ver. 2 (Europe and others):       2_520_EU_sel_1.jpg.a09361f7ec69ee664c46be828acdc052.jpg   2_520_EU_toslink_coax_1.jpg.66cf3162e3ab965e4413b291f21d01ee.jpg

On 10/21/2020 at 6:56 AM, kgallen said:

On the 520 (like the one in front of me now), if the unit is turned on, then moving the input selector switch between the three settings should result in an appropriate input message on the display: Optical In, Coaxial In, Analog In. Moving that switch carefully between the options a few times should help clean the contacts.

Yes all good messages on screen. 

On 10/21/2020 at 7:39 AM, kgallen said:

On the skips issue via TOSLINK I would also be interested in your answers to:

- Have you tried a number of different CDs

- Do you notice any difference in the skip issue between early tracks on the CD (inner radii) and later tracks on the CD (outer radii).

Tried so many different original and recorded CDs, different audio sources, different playlists from my Apple Mac, RCA, Toslink cables etc. etc. 

No difference whatsoever.  These can be very, very random and from any audio source, or RCA, Toslink etc.

Skips are always random and hardly ever on the same song (i.e. if I test record from the same CD twice).