fault with Sony minidisc player

Rate this topic

Jones11

I have a sony mini disc MZ-NH700 

As I divided a track and press "stop" in order to save changes, it started to flash "System file writing" as it normally does, but it would not stop. Can you advise what I should do? If I unplug power, it might erase the recording and I am worried. It normally takes several seconds to edit but it is flashing "System file writing" for more than an hour...Any suggestions?

What kind of disk is this, and in what format? Ie is it a 1GB disk, or if not, then is it a 60/74/80 disk formatted to HiMD pattern?

Regardless,  you need to take the battery out (don't try to open the unit yet). Then reinsert the battery or power from wall. You should hear a noise like an electronic version of throat clearing.... this is the write protect mechanism disengaging and should allow you to remove the disk.

Your disk is almost certainly not recoverable if it is as I asked in first sentence.

Your machine is probably dying UNLESS you are using a 1GB disk. In this case, put that disk FOR EVER away and try some other disk(s).

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news. The NH700 is one of the most reliable HiMD and if it is failing, the fault is likely a disk that you can not recover. DONT EVEN TRY TO REFORMAT it.