Error C13 on a MDS-JE640

Rate this topic

Rich37

Hi,

I have just found my old Minidisc player in the attic but it's giving me the C13 error. A disc doesn't even properly go into the tray, it gives off a loud grinding noise and I have to take the lid off to manually remove the disc. I have tried turning it off and then making sure the disc is properly fitted to no avail. I have also tried cleaning the lens but that didn't fix it either. I'm not sure what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rich

a. the belt is probably gone west (the one which loads disks)

b. you need to do a reset - should clear C13 unless something actually died.

c. if you didn't wreck the overwrite head pulling the disk out, there's hope. DO NOT tweak the mechanism by hand when there's power applied to the device. Not standby, actually unplugged if you want to mess around.

Jim'll fixit they say; unfortunately Savile is disgraced and Hoggarth is apparently out of action. I could take a look if you wanted to post it to Canada. But you'd want to remove the drive (for sending) as it is futile sending the entire box of tricks, as well as very expensive and risky.

42 minutes ago, sfbp said:

a. the belt is probably gone west (the one which loads disks)

b. you need to do a reset - should clear C13 unless something actually died.

c. if you didn't wreck the overwrite head pulling the disk out, there's hope. DO NOT tweak the mechanism by hand when there's power applied to the device. Not standby, actually unplugged if you want to mess around.

Jim'll fixit they say; unfortunately Savile is disgraced and Hoggarth is apparently out of action. I could take a look if you wanted to post it to Canada. But you'd want to remove the drive (for sending) as it is futile sending the entire box of tricks, as well as very expensive and risky.

Thanks for the response.

I will do the factory reset however I can't seem to find out how on this particular model. I checked the manual but it only mentioned resetting single settings using the clear button and not everything at once. Aren't you supposed to hold down some buttons whilst powering it up to do a complete reset?

No point until you fixed the belt, though.

Certain events will trigger it automatically, such as power off AND electrically disconnecting the drive. Be very careful that the level of reset you do doesn't require re-aligning the drive. Most probably there's nothing wrong... I just went through this with a new (second hand, newly-acquired) unit myself.

The service manual is here on the board for download:

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/files/file/171-sony_mds-je640_service_manualpdf/