Advanced Pulse DAC

Rate this topic

EvelynAtencio

Does anyone know what an "Advanced Pulse Digital Converter" is? (Sony CXD8505Q - CXD2515Q). It is in a Sony CDP-XA1ES. IIRC, either the JA20ES or JB930 has the 8505BQ DAC, which is a current pulse. So what is the difference between a "current pulse" and "advanced pulse" DAC? Is "advanced somehow different from "hybrid"? I'm no EE, so the simpler the explanation, the better. I am not being lazy here, as I did some poking around on the web, but did not find anything comprehensible to me.

Not sure why you reposted my question from 23 OCT 2014 here (http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/28901-advanced-pulse-dac/), but since you did:

The short  story: Advanced Pulse DAC is possibly a multibit (hybrid) DAC  (as opposed to a 1-bit DAC). I had  the XA1ES and was also curious. It is generally thought that 1-bit DACs are a better way to go in MD/CD. Freddy, I believe you are correct that it is not only sales/marketing lingo, but Sony-specific at that. Sony calls its 1-bit DACs "current pulse" and most of its multibits "hybrid pulse."

Of course, Sony's terminology is its own, so who really knows? Only Sony knows if "advanced pulse" = "hybrid pulse." I did find this, regarding the 8505Q as deployed in the JA3ES:

The JA3ES deck uses Sony's new CXD-8505Q D/A converter chip, which was developed for their latest generation CD players. This chip accepts a 20-bit digital data stream, which is converted by CXC-8505Q's first stage into an equivalent 22-bit signal, before passing it to the second stage which converts it into a stream of one-bit PWM pulses.

Now let's take a look at the 8505* series DACs and some of the places they are found. As you note—actually, as I noted—the 8505Q is found in the CDP-XA1ES. Its next iteration, the 8505AQ, is found in the CXD-XA70/80ES. I believe that is a 1-bit DAC. Finally the 8505BQ is in the CDP-XA20ES...definitely 1-bit or in Sonyspeak, "current pulse."

Both the JB930 and the XA20ES use the CXD-8735N-TP DAC, as noted in their respective service manuals.

Bottom line: 8505BQ > 8505AQ > 8505Q.

The CXD-8735N-TP is 1-bit.

CXD8735N-TP