CtrlA1 to PC-Link MOD

Rate this topic

punkrockaddict

Hi guys

just bought a MDS-PC3 and only need the interface to do some tweaking ;-)

My Deck i want to use with it is the 333ES but it is not the japanese version that comes with a PC-LINK interface

First off ->  iirc Stephen once said that the A1/A1II plug is pinwise identical to the PC-Link ? So what happens is i got a defect spare JE470 here that has to be slaughtered for the next steps to come.

I was thinking that in case A1 and the PC-Link are Boardwise the same that i want wo change the A1 from my 333ES to a PC-Link.

Has anyone ever thought of this or evenm done something like this ?

Funny that when i plugged in the PCLK-MN10 to a USB port of my htpc  it was adopted in seconds and runs as a NetMD device named "PCLK-MN10"  :D

I´ll disassemble the 333ES tomorrow and check/compare the Pins of the A1/PC-Link.

Electrically the same, no. Protocol both use SIRCS but not 100% guaranteed the commands are identical. The only way to solve this is to find a unit that supports both and snoop the commsnds. The 640 and 940 do, but only actually implemented jn the Japanese version. You'll need the all important service manual which i have failed to find. The 770 however DOES support both and all the manuals are available. The 470 doesn't have the pclink connector tho.

Please do keep us advised. Most interesting.
I have a 770.

Hi

well i got a JE470 and it does have a PC-Link plug.

I´m interested in modding my 333ES because the japanese one lacks Control A1 in favor to the PC-Link.

So what was going on @ Sony building 2 versions ? I assume they were the same with just 2 different plugs at the Board.

Does anyone own a japanese 333ES and could take some pictures of the Board ??

The small Board is taken from my 333ES and the Big Mainboard is the 470 with PC-Link plug.

I need to know if the Board in the Japanese version is the same with just aother plug connected.Maybe i can get a picture of that Board from a member of the FB group who owns the japanese version.. let´s see :-)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Are you sure it actually DOES PC-Link? Very annoying if you discover it doesn't. Just plug whatever worked with PC3 in and it should behave identically. Strange - the user manual I found on line shows (p.6) that the PC-Link is not there. This is totally annoying - the 640 I have resolutely refuses to do PC-Link and I have given up pending finding the right service manual. The MXD-D5C doesn't match the service manual I have for it, and the critical page is almost blank of information.

You have to figure out what the voltage levels and timings are for Ctrl-A1. Even then, the only way is to find a circuit with both implemented. The 940 may be the ticket but unfortunately the US model doesn't work with PCLK - and I have no idea if the circuit is right or not.

Oh I see... the PCLINK on the 470 is on the back, how odd! And on the 770 there is Ctrl-A1 as well as PC-Link.

The problem I foresee now is that the control chip (IC1) on the 770 actually has different inputs/outputs for Ctrl-A1 (3 & 24) and PC-Link (IIC) (29 &30). I think the protocol must be different.

afaik the PCL uses plain Slink commands ( same as A1II ) and should be just the same but with another plug.

correct me if i´m wrong.

I´m just about to get that PC3 running with M-Crew.It refuses to recognize it by now.Iam wondering why the PCLK-MN10 is adresed as NetMD in my Device Manager ?

Maybe that is the fault.have to figure out how to install in properly in win10 64 :-X

the 470 has PC-Link -> http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-JE470.html

why shouldn´t it work.. ? My 470 Deck is dead bc of a bad PCB so i can´t test its PCL