Fully erasing a NetMD without a second deck

Rate this topic

akasaka

Hello everyone.

Recently I've bought some MDs for recording. They all were nicely playing and eraseable except for one of them. When I insert it into my MZ-R30, I can see it play but can't hear anything. If I try to erase anything, I get a TrPROTECT error. 

I don't have any means of getting a second MD deck that supports NetMD or is pre-NetMD (the MZ-R30 is pre-NetMD too, but for some reason it won't ignore the flag).

Any ideas?

Maybe anyone knows the exact temperature to heat an MD up to in order to be able to remagnetize the whole MD with a neodymium HDD magnet?

Thanks in advance.

- Ak.

Are you sure the following doesn't work?

"You can quickly erase all the tracks and data of the MD at the same time.
Note that once a recording has been erased, you cannot retrieve it. Be sure to check the contents of the disc you want to erase.

rerawhol.gif

1. In stop mode, keep pressing ERASE and slide REC to the right.
    "All Erase?" and " Push Erase" appear in the display alternately. To cancel erasing, press Stop.gif.
  2. Press ERASE again.
    "Toc Edit" flashes in the display. When erasing finishes, "BLANK DISC" appears."

Yep, it still shows TrPROTECT on the display. According to the MD specs, while there is at least one track with the protect flag set, a disc cannot be erased. Weird is the fact that the R30 is actually checking it, was NetMD already around in 1999? And it doesn't have an option to protect individual tracks on the recorder anyway.

What is that?

I tried ejecting the MD while writing TOC, but that takes some tricky holding it in place, and I couldn't get the timing right — it either writes it OK or doesn't damage it yet.

It's the simplest player out there I think, so I don't think it can do that.

Maybe I can somehow heat up the disc past its curie point yet not melt it and then use a neodymium magnet of which I have a lot?

- Ak.

Service mode is quite complicated on this one. Plus it is only enabled by putting a solder bridge onto a test point on the main board. I have experience with opening it up but I'd rather not solder anything. However if anyone could point out what combination I should use for erasing TOC then it would be much appreciated and I'd go with soldering the service mode switch.

- Ak.

No you shouldn't need the solder bridge method. There's nearly always a key sequence. However R30 is sorta early.

I think your best shot is to buy a deck.

Another way is to buy a dead portable with the overwrite head broken (or deliberately break one). These blank the TOC VERY VERY EASILY!!!!!

I've checked the service and training manuals and they only specify a solder bridge spot for service mode. It's kinda easy to access the main board on the R30 and I've already serviced mine since it wasn't properly working on the outer radius, it's just that I don't want to open it up again with those tiny little screws it has.

Finding another MD here would be quite hard, especially a dead one, especially just for the sake of one disc

- Ak.