best Hi-MD/MD and earphone combination?

Rate this topic

sweetbabala

Hello, All.

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks, so thought I would just ask for some opinions. I will try to be as specific as possible. Among others, I have a Sony N910, RH910, and NH1. For earbuds, I am currently using Shure se215 and 425, but will be picking up a pair of 846 in the near future, based on the excellent reviews I have read. My question is around the Sharp Auvi units. I am interested in trying one out, but am wondering if the sound quality of an Auvi (DR77 or DS77) is noticeably better than the Sony units I have, specifically when using any of the above-mentioned Shure pairs? Unless I am mistaken, the Sharp units won't play the Hi-MD discs, so I see that as a bit of a disadvantage, but I am most interested in which combination would provide the highest quality sound.

Thank you, in advance, for any informed opinions anyone would be willing to offer.

Ryan

• 2 months later...

I have HI-MD (M200 & NH900) and ATRAC Type S (N910, NF810, N510) and N1, R900 and others.  The HI-MD units do record best but I do most of my listening on the ATRAC Type S units because the difference is not that great and most of my recording is done on a JB940 deck.  Plus I find the controls of the NF810 units the best, probably because I the NF810 the most.  The biggest difference I find in sound is the earbuds used.  I primarily listen to classical, bluegrass and jazz and use Etymotic ER4P's to get clarity and precision, especially with classical.  With rock the Etymotic can sound dull and use earbuds with more coloration.