Need Help transferring from RH-1 to Sonicstage

Rate this topic

culp4684

I have a live recording of an interview I did back in 2006 that I made on my RH-1.  It was made in the Hi-SP mode. I want to transfer it from the recorder to my library in Sonicstage so I can make a CD copy of it.  I thought the RH-1 was the only MD device capable of this, yet I am having issues completing the task. 

I connected my RH-1 to my computer and started Sonicstage.  The program recognizes my device and even shows the two files I created with titles on the MD in the recorder.  When I click on the bottom arrow <---- , the transferring processes is supposed to begin.  I even briefly see the top box on the right fill to green and indicate 100%.  Although it does this in about one second so I'm not sure if it is actually transferring the file to SS,  I then search My Library and the file is nowhere to be found.  Is there something simple I am forgetting?  I have checked the tab on the MD and it is in the closed position.  I also looked at the properties of the file on the MD side and the rights info states "can be transferred (unlimited times)".  Any suggestions?

1. You absolutely don't need to use the RH1 for transfers of HiMD recordings. Any net connected HiMD will do (ie obviously not player. Not sure about DH models).

2. The transferability should show in the right hand pane.

3. Check your location for uploaded files. Does it exist? Do you have access to it? I'm wondering about UAC issues. Best plan is to make it a short path such as c:\music and carefully make sure the access to the folder is writeable to everyone. If you have Home Premium it is possible that you need to RunAs Administrator as I am not sure you have proper control over the access to new folders. In XP Home there was a way around this.

4. Write protected disk will PREVENT transfer, however you should get an error that clearly states this.

5. Is it possible that your disk is glitching somehow because the NetMD driver isn't installed (yes I know you don't need it for this operation - but what if the 32-bit driver is somehow getting loaded and screwing things up)?

6. Finally, did they simply go somewhere you didn't expect? If you don't label (title) the tracks in question, weird stuff can happen, funny tracks with dates and times in them (except the dates and times are that of the transfer rather than the recording).

sfbp,

Thanks, I'll try your ideas later today.  I was always under the assumption the RH-1 (and M200) were the only way to transfer files back to Sonicstage.  Also, where are the SS files located?

Sphig,

Thanks, I did try that and the files weren't there.  I also searched my hard drive and came up with nothing.

Precisely, the others Hi-MD recorders are only allowed to upload what THEY have recorded themselves on a MD or an Hi-MD ( audio recorded from microphone or line input ). I suppose they are able to make the difference between THEIR recordings and old ones. I have never tested this so maybe there are subtilities.

5 hours ago, PhilippeC said:

Precisely, the others Hi-MD recorders are only allowed to upload what THEY have recorded themselves on a MD or an Hi-MD ( audio recorded from microphone or line input ). I suppose they are able to make the difference between THEIR recordings and old ones. I have never tested this so maybe there are subtilities.

I never noticed this, for sure. That's a really silly restriction IMHO. Not sure how it is enforced, either. I do know that if you edit HiMD files on a machine that in some cases the resulting file is not uploadable due to failure to reencrypt and tag the new files, especially when they don't start on a cluster boundary. But I don't recall just how widespread that bug is - it may be limited to 2nd generation (RH10/910/M10/M100) only. It caused the QHiMDTransfer guys a lot of grief until we figured it out together.

13 hours ago, sfbp said:

That raises a good point. Are you sure sure sure that these files are Hi-SP?

Yes.  When I click on the file in SS it says "Atrac 3 plus 256k".  The disc that I am trying to upload was recorded on the same RH-1 I'm using now.  Strangely, when I attempt the transfer the green does fill up in the right hand plane.  But the files are not in SS.  Where else could they go?

The only glitch I can think of is that my SS program is now in Windows 8.1.  When I did the initial recording I was using XP.  Maybe the upload process won't work on W8?

I did some tests, I don't have a RH1 (anymore) but I used a MZ-NH700. I got at first the same results as culp4684. But after some tests I succeeded in copying tracks from Hi-md to the musiclibrary. I did the following: In SS click on Tools->Options>Location to save imported files. The second part of the screen (location to save purchased ......) click on browse to choose a folder of your own choice, I choosed the same folder as the location to save tracks imported from CD's or converted files, in My case a folder I called D:\CDOMA) SS will ask you if SS must move the files from the old location to the new location. I saw no files but I choosed Yes and it seemed SS moved a lot of files and after the move I didn't see any file in the new folder. But after that I could transfer files (Atrac 3 plus 192) to the music library and I could find the files in the new folder D:\CDOMA. Don't ask me the reason why this happened.

1 minute ago, sfbp said:

Probably UAC on the user's own space - whereas some component of SS needs system access - at a guess.

Not enough user rights to write files in the original folder, but I didn't expect that the location where purchased (the good old time) tracks are saved is used for transfering tracks from MD back to the musiclibrary and not the folder where tracks imported from CD's are saved.