MiniDisc connection

Rate this topic

BourbonCowboy

On 2016. 09. 11. at 8:44 AM, BourbonCowboy said:

How do you hook up a MiniDisc player to an older Sony (STR-1090) receiver that doesn't have a MD input??

On the STR-1090 there are multiple connectors, except for an optical or coaxial digital input, one would normally use to connect an MD player (that does have TOLINK/SPDIF output) to, for best possible sound, and least level of noise, or other disturbances.

image.jpg

Still you can use a regular stereo RCA cable (or a 3.5 mm stereo jack to RCA cable, if it is an md walkman) to connect your md device to any of the analogue audio inputs (but Phono) of the receiver, i.e., DAT, TAPE 1/2, also to VIDEO 1/2 (and even CD too, in case). These connections are standardised in terms of acceptable signal levels, just as the analogue outputs of the md players.

This a convenience feature on the receiver, that the different channels have names of the possible - most frequently used - devices, but your md player will sound equally good as if it was connected to an analog inlet labelled "minidisc".

In other words, all these analogue inputs are interchangeable, you just need to take a note, wich device is on which connector.

(My receiver does have two digital inputs, but as I have multiple devices with digital output (CD, SACD, DVD, 2x MDs), some of them can be connected to analogue VIDEO or TAPE only.)

4 hours ago, bluecrab said:

you could use an optical switch. Powered ones are better than passive.

That's fully right.

I am already collecting broken Sony MD main boards for their TOSLINK receivers/transmitters (and other parts) on purpose. Once I have enough, I will build a switch that can connect 2-3 devices to a single input, as well as split a single output. I am aware these kind of devices can be bought, but then it will be fun to recycle parts from dead Sony MD decks into some new functionality :-).

5 hours ago, PhilippeC said:

those Sony MD decks Toslink (or coaxial) spare parts, are not they limited to 24bit-48kHz

It is indeed a valid point. The resolution and sample rate of a given digital audio signal can certainly have influence on selecting the appropriate transferring method and hardware.

TOSLINK receivers/transmitters are characterised by transmission rate (optical wavelength is also important), i.e., what is the maximum number of bits they can squeeze through the fiber in a second. There are different modules used in audio devices with various transmission rates mostly in the range of 4...16 Mbps, but I have seen 100...125 Mbps modules intended for other purposes, like industrial data transmission for example.

Now, transferring a true 24/192 signal would probably be not possible with these older modules (taken from period Sony CD/MD gear) being max. 4 Mbps (my guess, but will check their datasheets). There is another limitation as well, namely the input module and circuitry of my receiver.

Nevertheless, for switching/splitting the optical signals of my existing devices the same optical modules that are being used in them must be fully appropriate.