Minidisc Auto Space

Rate this topic

Why do you need this auto space facility ?

In case you want to record from a computer, players like Winamp or foobar2000 have plugins to create space between tracks too (Net-MD is a great to delete them afterwards). But this is thrue, it is different, auto space create a 3 seconds blank between tracks during play. Nevermind, if you have (or buy) a (cheap) Net-MD unit, you can had as many 3 seconds blank tracks as you want.

for everybody : http://www.minidisc.org/sony_je440_je640_jb940.html

Hi Philippe.

I am old fashioned enough to still use a traditional hifi. But for convenience when out and about I use an ipod. So I need to transfer tracks from my minidisc deck to mp3. And Auto Space makes this very convenient for ME. So can you provide this software hack or are you only here to criticise others' preferred use of minidisc?

I need assistance with a problem so please advise me how to solve my problem if you know....

By the way I buy, sell, repair all sorts of these decks. I have in my possession presently working 440, 480, 640, 780 and 940 models. Also other older pre-MDLP decks so your comments are superfluous.

18 hours ago, davewithabeard said:

Is there a software hack for this ? I have checked out the hardware and there seems to be nothing there...

Hi Dave,

I am afraid, you won't find such a software hack. This kind of functionality is burnt into the main chip of the unit, and while there supposed to be a way to reload the firmware of the deck, I have not seen any modified versions yet (well, this does not mean too much anyway), nor any posts here or on other forums, that would discuss the how-to. Sony is known for keeping such proprietary firmware totally confidential, and hackers would only work on something that enjoys wide interest (i.e., when back in old DVD times, they hacked drives' firmware for region code, etc.).

You may try to replace the main IC on the main board of the 440 with the one from a 640. I mean, if performing such a delicate rework is worth it for the end result.

• Like 1

Many thanks for an informed reply. I rather guessed that to be the case. I have a mainboard from a damaged 780 but that would be hard to add to a 440, I think. I buy lots of these decks for spares so I will wait patiently for a 640. Unfortunately they seem to be the most reliable of all of them, usually only needing new belts for eject mechanism.

Once again thanks for the input. A little frustrating as I love my 440s but only need that one addition to make them perfect for my needs.

All the best, Dave