Sonic Stage Backup

Rate this topic

freddyjollo

I havent used this for ages ( havent use SS either ) SInce I installed it all on Windows 8.1 been playing about with it again.  So dose the backup funnction still work and for how long as I remember  it had to go on line to verify the  database or some thing? Just  tried it and still seems ok. Has any one an y idea what the  going on line was all about?

• 2 weeks later...

Were you on line? If you had some super paranoid settings on firewall you might have been blocked as i don't know what ports if any are used. Finally as I've said a few times, historically the Sony server that does the authentication is sometimes down.

I assumed  Sony had  just terminated the service as they have done with minidisc now.

why would they continue? now?

I did  try with Windows 8.1. I ll try again with XP on the same machine to see if tis the default 8.1 firewall

I have  just tried with Windows XP on same pc and get "no internet connection" which is not true. I turned off  router and xp firewalls and still no good. router is one I have been using for  donkey years and is sound. so I think Sony have turned off the authentication service. any one else  tried the backup?

12 hours ago, freddyjollo said:

I didnt stop any thing on Windows 8.1. I went overto my copy of XP that has been bullet proof in that regard - turned off the fire wall there and in the router. Thats where I got the message " cannot connect to the internet" which is rubbish. assumed it means  cant connect to the  Sony site

I just tested the backup tool. I made a backup with only one album in my library to reduce the runtime.
After made the backup I started the SonicStage Backup Tool and choose restore.
During 15 minutes I saw the message "Authenticating through the Internet...".
And then I got the message "Authentication of your database was succesful a connection to the internet is no longer required".
After pushing start the restore continued.
So the Sony server still works.
I use Windows 10 32 bits.
I have no idea why it don't work for you.

Check for things like Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm, hijacked DNS (ie are your own dns servers pointing where they should be or has some malware pointed them elsewhere?)

Oh yes, there are couple of "background" programs (from Sony) that you may have never needed and some security sweep analyzer disabled them. SS<something>.exe

I'm glad there is a bang up to date conversation going on here about Sonic Stage. Thank you.

I'm getting into the old Sony A series players. They are so sweet, but horribly nobbled, it seems. I have several old PCs here to experiment with. I've tried Connect and Sonic Stage and also the Java 'outsider' called Jsymphonic. The sony software is great until I do something silly like plug a different HD into a USB socket.

I'd come to the conclusion that Sony had long since taken the registration service off line, leaving me permanently at the mercy of the over paranoid copyrite protection quirks of the software. I'm surprised and pleased to hear there is still a response from their server. I don't actually understand what you mean by "backup", I must still not quite be up to speed with the manual.

However, I've found the JSymphonic software to be very reliable with no nasty lock outs. There's just one niggle, it does something that causes the A3000/1000 to pause while refreshing it's database and display the 'connect compliant software' notice. It then goes on to complete it's task and seems to work fine after that ( but without any of the fancy functions like artist link or the ratings system. I assume I'd have to using Connect player for those to work, and the online connect service would have to active too?

Any tips and advice are very welcome.

14 hours ago, McLies said:

I'm glad there is a bang up to date conversation going on here about Sonic Stage. Thank you.

I'm getting into the old Sony A series players. They are so sweet, but horribly nobbled, it seems. I have several old PCs here to experiment with. I've tried Connect and Sonic Stage and also the Java 'outsider' called Jsymphonic. The sony software is great until I do something silly like plug a different HD into a USB socket.

I'd come to the conclusion that Sony had long since taken the registration service off line, leaving me permanently at the mercy of the over paranoid copyrite protection quirks of the software. I'm surprised and pleased to hear there is still a response from their server. I don't actually understand what you mean by "backup", I must still not quite be up to speed with the manual.

However, I've found the JSymphonic software to be very reliable with no nasty lock outs. There's just one niggle, it does something that causes the A3000/1000 to pause while refreshing it's database and display the 'connect compliant software' notice. It then goes on to complete it's task and seems to work fine after that ( but without any of the fancy functions like artist link or the ratings system. I assume I'd have to using Connect player for those to work, and the online connect service would have to active too?

Any tips and advice are very welcome.

well  the Fileconversion utility is separate from Sonicstage  and allows you to eg strip the copy protection drm from some  of the files on your hd ( files you have made and transferred by copying cds? ).  Then you can  copy them to a new  hd or pc even, other wise  you risk finding they wont play on the new pc?  The backup utility seems to be just that make a copy of your Sonic Stage music  files and allow u to transfer to another  pc, without tampering with the drm?; I think that was  needed when Sony had a music store where you could buy music that couldnt have its drm removed using file conversion just mentioned? BUT how many now have  any such  sony derived music  files so is the backup really needed now once the drm has been stripped away by the file conversion utility?

I must say I rather like  Sonicstage - it was once  pilloried wasnt it? but it is a great little   music player where the  database it has is an automatic play list ( start at the first and it will play the whole lot ) - and you can reduce its screen foot print ( mini player ) to some thing  tiny. MS media player in a way not much different  but dont seem so nice to use use and wont  inegrate with  your minidisc Once you have  stripped the drm away of your own imported files Sonic stage is like any other player like  MS media player and the drm dont rear its head any more - you just have to remember to run the file conversion utility  every time  you import new files to remove theor drm?

I've seen the file (mp3) conversion software and downloaded it but not yet installed it to see how it might be of use.  I agree that the Sony software is great, but only until I run into a brick wall with it. I can well understand their thinking in those days. They were busy hoovering up most of the music business at the time and obviously had an eye on complete control over the whole scene. Some boffin inside the company probably had a "plan". I doubt that boffin is still in the same position. Meanwhile, a few very good sounding pieces of hardware went under that bus, and I'm just getting around to discovering some of them. My respect goes to the people who set about bringing common sense back into the mix by doing their best to make JSymphonic fix the situation. It nearly succeeds, and still could, if Sony would support the idea.

Anyway, that's my soapbox bit over with. I think the bulk of the troubles people had with Sonic Stage was due to there being different hardware configurations all lumped together under "Windows PC". I know from experience that some PC systems won't play nice with some new kit. I used to own a Yamaha SW1000XG midi soundcard. It was, for the time, a stunningly good card for making music and usually worked perfectly but there were some vicious complaint from some people who had terrible luck with it. It turned out that there was a problem with some PC hardware configurations, usually associated with AMD motherboards.

I've had a few shocking 'blue screen' disasters using Sonic Stage  while trying to transfer audio to minidiscs in my MDS-JB980 deck. The thing is, it only happens with some of my many old PCs. The worst is one based on an Asrock AMD motherboard. The most trouble free is a tiny little HCL netbook with a screen so small I can hardly see what I'm doing.

I wish, while I was reading those many blogs full of anti Sonic Stage ( and especially Connect Player ) rage, people would have recorded what their PC configurations were.

I'm progressing slowly with a faith in this notion that once I have a proven PC configuration, things will get easier. I still think the Sony OCD about copy protection is a big downer though. It makes me want alternatives to their software. Unlike the way I feel about their hardware which has a warm smooth sound that suits the kind of chilled music I tend to listen to the most these days.

well cant say I have ever had any problems with Sonic stage and  blue screens. But I have sometimes had it "stop" . You do have the last version installed ( available here) as for  copy protection it really is a non issue now if  you run the FILE CONVERSION utility on any cds  you put into Sonic stage as that would  automatically add copy protection I think? Since  you have  netmd the last version of Sonic stage here  removed the  5 is it limit transfers before  you have to book them in again I think.I also have a Sony 980  as for netmd it aint very good being very slow compared to a cheap portable like the NH600 I have ( that is also HiMd ). I cant remember if I ever used it on Socket 7/AMD Duron pc/windows 98?, memory getting a bit  vague that far back. I think itsome times  help to remove the netmd entry in device manager and let the system  re find it - esp if you use  2 differnt  netmd devices which can cause seizures or slowups?

This morning I've tried again with SonicStage. It installed ok but when I booted it up this massage halted the process;

The selected music file cannot be played back because the system information has been changed. Click OK to automatically close SonicStage and open SonicStage System Information Restore Tool.

(Error Code: 00004e2e)

Then the restore tool says this;

Cannot connect to the internet

I don't even know why SS says "the selected music file" because as yet it's a fresh install with no database.

The system it's running on is Windows XP SP2.

I've had this experience several times, hence previously giving up and trying JSymphonic. The posts above encouraged me to try again because of your success in making contact with a sony server.

I assume that this PC still has references in the registry somewhere that the software is finding and adopting as settings parameters ?

Perhaps the historic "hate" wasn't really about SS but was about not being able to use it. I actually like it, when I can get it working properly.

On the JB980 speed thing, Yes, I do find that transferring SP mode audio to disc is almost as slow as it would be to record in real time. As I don't have any netMD portables, I didn't realise it could be any faster. I also have a CMT-M373NT mini hi-fi with netMD but I haven't noticed it to be any faster. The main frustration with that unit is that I don't hve a driver to get the PC remote control functions working. I've even asked sony for it and was told they can't find software for a product that 'mature'.

As I have tried to  get across to you I dont think the backup tool and restore is at all necessary any more and also the internet access with it.  I am not sure if  a clean XP install is possible any more due to the activation servers now gone, but thats what I would have tried in this situation. I used to use Acronis backup tool to make images of XP to use in this  type of situation to restore a virgin system or atleast one that wouldnt have the suspect prgram on, SS inthis case  Some times thats the only way to correct faultswith XP, not just with SS. I used to have this type of problem with MS Office, it would mysteriously stop worrking so had to go back to an image of XP that I knew was ok. You could try a system clean tool like  ccleaner ,  remove  SS and clean using the registry part of ccleaner then reinstall after deleting any SS folders remaining. I  think  you mustnt then use this to clean the registry again after installing SS as I get the impression it damaged the SS system in my case., probably the dtm.

The " The selected music file cannot be played back because the system information has been changed. " probably refers to the fact  you didnt in the first place use the File Conversion tool as explained to strip off drm on your music and when you re installed SS it found  music files at the  original place, that were drm-ed so wouldnt  play them, even though you hadnt told SS where they were?  Use of the File Conversion  tool is mandatory thiese  days to avoid this type of situation.If you start off right with no drmed  music files SS  behaves quite well and the only prblem I have ever has was some times saving to a disc some times  seizes.

re SPI dont think it is worth the bother as  SS dont really  use that ? and  perfoms some kind of kludge.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

2 hours ago, McLies said:

This morning I've tried again with SonicStage. It installed ok but when I booted it up this massage halted the process;

Then the restore tool says this;

I don't even know why SS says "the selected music file" because as yet it's a fresh install with no database.

Are you sure there was no (old) database on your system?
Do a search on your harddisc (mostly C:) and search for MtData.mdb, there is also a MtType.mdb but that is no problem.
There are more than one MtData.mdb's on your system because SS makes a copy in another map, SS use that copy to restore the database if the one in use is corrupted. Delete all the MtData.mdb's and reinstall SS.
Keep in mind that if you delete the tracks in SS not all data in the database is deleted, a lot of data is still kept in the database, you don't see that in SS. If you have Microsoft Access than you can see that, with Microsoft Access you see three tables in MtData.mdb and you can delete all the rows in these three tables. Don't touch the MtType.mdb database. You can then retry SS. But if you don't have Microsoft Access then delete all the MtData.mdb's and reinstall SS.
The MtData.mdb who is actual in use by SS is C:\ProgramData\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\Packages\MtData.mdb (in my case this is the full path name). There are also one or more copies with one or more $ in front of the name, SS makes everytime after changes in the database a new copy and the old one gets a $ in front of the name, delete also these copies.
But elsewhere in a submap with the name DBRestore there is also a copy of this database, delete also this one.

Thank you both for replies. I appreciate it. I was assuming that if the software really could access the sony server it would quickly confirm what it wanted to know ( or do ) and carry on booting up and let me use it again.

I'll have a look for the database files and see if I can make progress with that solution. What I'm trying to achieve here is a permanent functioning system to work with all these old sony devices, reliably. I'd had many re installs and clean starts ( I actually have one of the very early retail versions of XP [well pre SP2] which doesn't enforce on line activation ). The clean starts are the only way I've been able to use SS. It isn't long before something makes it give me grief though. I've found different PC hardware configurations make it behave slightly differently, that is, it's refusals to run, not it's working processes when it works ok.

I'm tempted right now to wipe the drive on this PC and do a fresh start, but I know it'll only be a matter of time before something stops SS working again, and that's not really achieving my objective of a permanent working system for these old sony players and minidisc.

Thanks for the tip to use the file conversion tool BEFORE I have trouble. Presumably I'll have to keep on using it every time I rip or otherwise introduce fresh audio to the database/software. I have thousands of audio files on external hard drives. less than a tenth of it is copyrited  music.

I just tried Sony MP3 File Manger with a NW-HD5 player. It's very simple and trouble free but has an annoying quirk too. Once the visible window where I must drag files or folders to has filled up, there is nowhere to drag files to without dropping them inside pre existing folders. The files do actually play ok on the HD5 though, so that's a plus.

There is another sony software file manger I haven't yet tried. VAIO Music Transfer. The experimenting continues.....

1 hour ago, McLies said:

Thank you both for replies. I appreciate it. I was assuming that if the software really could access the sony server it would quickly confirm what it wanted to know ( or do ) and carry on booting up and let me use it again.

I'll have a look for the database files and see if I can make progress with that solution. What I'm trying to achieve here is a permanent functioning system to work with all these old sony devices, reliably. I'd had many re installs and clean starts ( I actually have one of the very early retail versions of XP [well pre SP2] which doesn't enforce on line activation ). The clean starts are the only way I've been able to use SS. It isn't long before something makes it give me grief though. I've found different PC hardware configurations make it behave slightly differently, that is, it's refusals to run, not it's working processes when it works ok.

I'm tempted right now to wipe the drive on this PC and do a fresh start, but I know it'll only be a matter of time before something stops SS working again, and that's not really achieving my objective of a permanent working system for these old sony players and minidisc.

Thanks for the tip to use the file conversion tool BEFORE I have trouble. Presumably I'll have to keep on using it every time I rip or otherwise introduce fresh audio to the database/software. I have thousands of audio files on external hard drives. less than a tenth of it is copyrited  music.

I just tried Sony MP3 File Manger with a NW-HD5 player. It's very simple and trouble free but has an annoying quirk too. Once the visible window where I must drag files or folders to has filled up, there is nowhere to drag files to without dropping them inside pre existing folders. The files do actually play ok on the HD5 though, so that's a plus.

There is another sony software file manger I haven't yet tried. VAIO Music Transfer. The experimenting continues.....

only when  you rip to atrac format - mp3 no problem. But yes every time  you rip some thing new to atrac format file  you should run the file conVersion  util and DESELECT  ADD COPY PROTECTION,  then the drm issue wont  happen again hmm well it can when you save a file to a disc and you decide to change format eg from LP2 to LP4 to convert format, the converted  file I think is normally drmed, but that dont matter as I think you can also decide to delete these after use

seems to me if you have a choice of pcs  use one  just for that. But you should  try and find a disc imageing util, not sure if there are any free ones ( for XP ) - Windows 7 and above have that  built in, and make a image of the os when it worksso you can always  restore that in a few minutes. I  had to do that quite a few times with XP for other reason.

it does seem the Sony authentication service is  very patchy - I just tried it again and not working lol

If you're running Windows 7 or later, I strongly suggest turning off Windows Update. This should fix the system from going bad. The only problem with this is that Microsoft, in their fervour to force everyone to use W10 has messed up the Windows Update site (there IS a solution, but first, verify that this is your problem). The standard configuration includes tasks that wake up in the middle of the night and do heavy stuff like defrag, sending all your information to MSFT, and of course update. ("All your bases are belong to us" - Apple's method is simply to make the hardware obsolete much faster as I found out when my son approached me for $2000 to buy a new laptop).

If you're on XP, don't be particularly afraid of SP2. Until SP2 many of most drivers for USB didn't work well. This included Sony in some cases. MIcrosoft doesn't care about XP activation much since they started giving away free copies as "virtual XP" in their Windows 7 installations.

This nonsense with verifying the DB during installation is Sony trying very hard to fix your non-existent database. You need to be aware that there's a bunch of stuff under

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sony Shared

ALL of which can be deleted. Yes ALL of it. This should prevent the install from trying to rebuild a non-existent database.

You could try ignoring the install error. If you do, often installing again right over the top (don't even bother to delete), may solve the problem.