Remote Controls and Multiple MiniDisc Decks

Rate this topic

BearBoy

So after receiving my new digital coax switch (http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/29423-switch-for-coaxial-digital-cables/), I spent some time this afternoon tidying up my office MiniDisc set up and getting everything connected. At the heart of this is a pair of Sony QS decks: an MDS-JB940 and an MDS-JB980. Both have their original remote controls, an RM-D49M and an RMD10E respectively. Unfortunately both remote controls seem to control both decks (i.e. if I turn on the MDS-JB980 using its remote, the MDS-JB940 turns on as well. If I press play on the MDS-JB940's remote, both decks start playing).

Is there anything I can do about this so each remote will only control the appropriate machine? I have checked the manuals for both decks but cannot find any instructions on what to do if you have more than one MiniDisc deck in a set up (which surely cannot have been that uncommon back in the format's heyday).

As a last resort I could obviously use some sort of physical obstruction in front of the remote sensor of the machine I didn't want to respond but I was hoping there might be a slightly more high tech solution.

2 hours ago, BearBoy said:

Is there anything I can do about this so each remote will only control the appropriate machine?

I am afraid, there is not any. I mean, anything a regular user could do easily.

IR remotes use certain codes for different makes and devices, for the reason the different remotes would not interfere with other machines. Unfortunately, Sony created only one set of codes for minidisc desks (it is quite common at many brands, that a complete line of similar devices use the same set of IR codes), and there is no option to select between decks. Pity though, as Sony made several other devices, video recorders for example, where they implemented a switch on the remote, to select beetween three units (and matching selection can be set on the units).

Technically it is doable to apply some sort of modulation on the remote's IR signal, and the same demodulation on the deck's IR receiver, also, it is possible to use a generic remote programmed to an altered set of codes, and to modify the unit's internal logics to be able read that set, but both would be sort of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

43 minutes ago, NGY said:

Strange though, as Sony made several other devices, video recorders for example, where they implemented a switch on the remote, to select beetween three units (and matching selection can be set on the units).

Yes, I've got an old Sony VHS VCR with just such a switch on the remote control. I wondered if the MiniDisc decks were a bit cleverer and had some setting in a menu somewhere that would allow you to differentiate between different machines.

Many thanks for the confirmation NGY.