Love my new SRS-XB2 but in dual unit mode the signal is out of phase.

Rate this question

alexwaston

Question

Hi 

I am a 30 year career professional audio engineer. 

I selected the SRS-XB2 after auditioning many other units in a department store that had about 10 different models. I used to have Bose Soundlink 2 but the rediculous amount of bass on the unit annoyed me. 

After getting one unit home I decided to order a 2nd one to take advantage of the dual unit stereo mode.

However its instantly apparent that when using 2 units in stereo the L & right signals are reverse phased, leading to cancellation of almost all centralised bass signal and an unatractive sounding mid frequency reproduction

When listenting to pop / rock or dance music productions - the kick drum (bass drum) and bass are typically centrally located in the stereo field or 'panorama'. In a correctly phased stereo set up, bass signal from the left and right speaker combined should be additive (ie centrally panned signals should combine 50/50 to make up 100% volume) you should clearly be able to hear the kick drum in the middle and the bass instruments also.

But listening with your head in between two equally spaced SRS-XB2 units, there is no such low end signal additive combination (it is clearly subtractive or "bass light") and mid frequency signals exhibit the classic 'eriee / 'behind you' sound that an out of phase stereo speaker set up typically gives you. 

On a wired speaker set up this would be remedied by swapping the + /- speaker cables on ONE speaker to put them "in phase" 

Its a shame that such a cool product suffers from this fundimental problem.

Would the moderators product evangelists here kindly please test this and bring it to the attention of Sony engineers please?

I would like to have a pair of SRS-XB2's that are correctly in phase. 

(I suspect the rear facing bass units are the culprits, they may need to be "phase flipped" 

Many thanks,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relax : dance ringtonecountry ringtonemessage tones

1 answer to this question

A quick scan of the manual leads me to ask the following questions:

1. What happens when you press the ADD button to switch the second unit from "Double" to "Stereo" mode?

2. What order did you add them ?

3. Which did you connect to smartphone? You need to connect the bluetooth to unit A (the one you added first). I can see this problem of yours happening if you tried to connect the phone to unit B.

I really have no experience, just looking at the manual in haste - feel free to tell me I am talking rubbish.

PS I have no idea how all your previous posts happened to get spam in them, or why your sig said NY when you are apparently in Hanoi. More nonsense like that will get you banned, if it turns out you are responsible. If someone hacked your computer, my sympathies, but it is still true that you are on a watch list.