Sony Insider Forums
Sign in to follow this  
punkrockaddict

Onkyo Hi-MD "Service Mode"

Rate this topic

Hi there

I asked this some time before but sadly i´ve never stumbled across any answers.

Most people owning any sort of Onkyo Hi-MD machines will know that they´re very fragile concerning the MD Drive.

So far i´ve seen and collected many units that obviously suffer from the same Problem.They seem to be out of alignment :-/

The Discs won´t even eject when they fail to read - this goes so far that even a press of the standby button don´t get the unit to standby ; or better said the unit shuts down but the MD Drive continues to read and the Laser tries to focus while the Sled drives to its parking position and so on.

Does nobody else than me cares about fixing these units?

I´ve had success with a FR-N7 where i changed the Flexribbon from a 105FX.It finally reads Hi-MD 1GB Discs but that´s about it.

So the first thing to achieve is to finally get a service manual or at least know the button combinations.

I suggest there´s some japanese Members here too that possibly could gather that information through websearch ?

Any help would be highly appreciated :-)

If you get in please let us know; those guys are completely screwed and I cannot register (despite being already a member). We can post the file here, no problem.

Experienced the same problems on a few units - skipping towards the end of discs (Hi-Md) - Failure to read then failure to eject - no solution yet!

Have one that plays on it's side reliably - a bit of a pain really. - Like you, need a service manual

20 hours ago, punkrockaddict said:

That is not a Hi-MD unit so it's not of interest.

Haha missed that. Might give an idea about button presses for service mode, though.

alright i took a look into the SM for the mentioned Deck above.

It seems to me there is no button config to enter the Test mode rather than soldering a resistance to the Board.

It reads interesting though as there´s a screw mentioned to calibrate the Spindle Motor.A defective Spindle Motor will lead to an impedance Problem where it can lead to Audio dop outs !

Now as i lack an oszilloskop i will try my luck by just messing around with a non functional unit.

The whole process is described @page  28/47

Sadly there are figures missing that are most important for the soldering of measurements :-/

11 hours ago, punkrockaddict said:

i lack an oszilloskop

What frequencies do you need to watch?

If it is in the 20kHz range, you may want to use your PC sound card as an oscilloscope. A few passive components and a free software from a smart German guy, Christian Zeitnitz.