Sony Insider Forums
mick_t

Minidisc Math

Rate this topic

Any math geeks out there?

I'm trying to come up with a simple equation to help me find how long I can record in normal mode before having to record in MDLP2 due to disc space. So for instance, if I want to record 100 minutes of music on an 80 minute Minidisc, how long can I record before having to switch to LP2? Obviously the answer is 60 minutes but can someone help me find the equation for this? That way when I have 87 minutes to put on a 74 min MD or 18 minutes of space left and 31 minutes of music, etc...

I've been hurting my brain on this for a while and can't find an easy answer, although it seems simple enough.

MD = time on Minidisc

MU = time of music you wish to record

X = variable (my answer)

R = remainder

MD - X = R.  

And 2R = MU - X

That's as close as I can get to anything and still doesn't answer my question....

From MD-X=R and 2R=MU-X we can eliminate R:

2MD-2X=MU-X     /+2X

2MD=MU+X     /-MU

2MD-MU=X

Say 100 min. music on a 74 min. md (instead of 80): 148-100=48.

74-48=26, 2x26=52, 52+48=100

There you go ;-)

That's it!

Thank you!

Man I wracked my brain over that... The irony is when I was last in a math class 20 years ago I was probably not paying attention and listening to a Minidisc....

Thanks so much!

1 minute ago, mick_t said:

The irony is when I was last in a math class 20 years ago I was probably not paying attention and listening to a Minidisc....

Well, when I was last in a math class, there was no Minidisc to listen to, as it had not existed yet! LOL

I was always last in math :) Unfortunately there were future prize-winning mathematicians much ahead of me.

So if you want X minutes on a Y disk then 2Y-X is at SP.

What about the 3x3x3 cube of cheese? How many cuts do you need to make all 27 cubes? Why? (the future Nobel prizewinner got it; none of the rest of us did)

12 hours ago, sfbp said:

What about the 3x3x3 cube of cheese? How many cuts do you need to make all 27 cubes? Why? (the future Nobel prizewinner got it; none of the rest of us did)

4 ?