HiFi World Nostalgic look at MiniDisc June/ July 2016 2 parts

Rate this topic

freddyjollo

rather  interesting  look back at our much loved  system from HiFi World from 2016

"Today, Minidisc can still hold its own. I’m impressed at how much of a digital CD transfer’s space, rhythm and detail emerges intact - despite ATRAC’s data reduction ratio of 5:1 (or higher!). Even symphonic and chamber works fare better than one would expect, the depth and soundstaging of a good recording being largely retained. The caveat is that a decent external converter is used for playback; enormous strides in DAC technology have taken place over the past fifteen years or so. "

The conclusion he comes to is  that pump the  data out thru a modern  DAC and the system is still  good

see  later post for  pdf files

Cannot read that format, Freddy, but the article is also available as PDF, here:

https://www.politicalavenue.com/108642/US-MAGAZINES/Hi-Fi World - July 2016.pdf

Interesting stuff and with a pro-MD slant. From your excerpt, I agree for the most part. However, I believe the SQ from my JA22ES might exceed that of some "modern" DACs (my Musical Fidelity, for example).

Thanks for the link.

12 hours ago, freddyjollo said:

The caveat is that a decent external converter is used for playback; enormous strides in DAC technology have taken place over the past fifteen years or so. "

I was ready to buy one decent - stereo DAC now but as I have bought a Yamaha DSP A-Z1 receiver I have now a 24bit-96kHz/192kHz DAC inside + all DSP effects.So... The receiver as a optical out dedicated for a MD deck.