Frustration!

Rate this topic

Sorry if this has all been covered elsewhere, but I am new to this forum so please be gentle.

I have an MZ-NH600 personal minidisc player/recorder that, when I came to use it after a few years of non-use, stubbornly refuses to 'see' any disc loaded into it. It always comes up with the message 'No disc'. I tried cleaning the laser but to no avail. 

Wanting to listen to some of my old minidiscs, I purchased an MZ-N707 from a seller on eBay and it arrived today. It had a minidisc in it and it worked perfectly with that disc. However, the minute I try to play any of my discs, I get the same result: the display scrolls 'Hi-MD Disc', a '-80.59 REMAIN' message, the track number is displayed, the track timer advances as it should but there is no sound. If I press the 'Play' button, there is a beep that lasts about three seconds and then nothing.

Have you any idea what is going on? Is there some inherent incompatibility between my discs and the 'new' player? Do I just have to accept that I have lost all that music and start again?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Please note that 1st Hi-MD generation units

NH 600, NH700NHF800 and NH900

are more reliable than the second gen.

http://minidisc.org/part_Hi-MD_Sony.html

https://sites.google.com/site/crazyforminidisc/5-the-end---hi-md-2004-machines

Be aware that LCD screens fade away with time.  

collectors :

Sony MZ-EH1 

Sony MZ-NH1

Sony MZ-RH1 / M200