Sony Insider Forums
Kesha

Copying MD to computer hard drive

Rate this topic

You did miss the point. There is NO way to get the encoded data (for original SP format of minidisc) off an MD, unless you write the software yourself and replace the chips in the device ***. The hardware in the MD will produce the CD-format data which it then sends out the optical channel or coax cable.

For what it's worth, there is NO SUCH THING as a perfect copy of an audio CD, either (ignore all the so-called experts who bleat on about "exact copy"). It's always a matter of how good is the reader, how many passes are made over the data, and exactly how the dithering is applied. CDs are actually about 20 bits in resolution, but we only see 16 bits when we play them (or copy them digitally). This may account for the fact that a "good" copy to MD often sounds better than the original CD, depending of course on exactly how the original is reproduced.

So an MD copy is as good as it gets, and in my experience you'd have to copy 3 or 4 times (may be more) before you lost any of the clarity.

Having said that, there are formats which are reproduced bit-for-bit (and can be saved as files) when you lift them off the MD. MDLP formats (LP2,132k and LP4,66k) are of this kind. So are all the Hi-MD formats (eg Hi-SP, 256k). But there is no accepted equivalent to MD-SP format on hard disk because there is no hardware commonly available that will actually read it except for MD units made by Sony and others. It's probably possible to tweak NetMD units into transmitting that form to a computer but you will still have a mammoth problem, at least in part (we think) because of copyright agreements between Sony and Dolby which will never be violated.

There IS a way to get an exact digital copy of an MD, It's called the MDS-W1 dual MD deck. But you only get another MD :)

*** Actually there are indications it may be possible on some units to get the raw data through an undocumented feature

Hi guys,

could anyone please let me know how can I capture my files from a minidisc using a Portadisc without "re recording" the sound, just digitally capturing the file that is on the minidisc, to preserve its quality the way it is on the minidisc, not the 2nd generation recording like it would have been with a digital coaxial or optical.

Thank you.

There is no such word as "just". Hopeless word, it merely hides the actual technical difficulties.

WHAT YOU WANT CAN NOT BE DONE.

End of. Sorry.

I haven't noticed that the previous reply was on the next page. Missed it. Sorry.

Now, back to "There IS a way to get an exact digital copy of an MD, It's called the MDS-W1 dual MD deck. But you only get another MD :)

*** Actually there are indications it may be possible on some units to get the raw data through an undocumented feature"

So, I should buy this MDS W1 (one or two?) and hack it somehow?

Thank you.

Kesha, it is time to use your HBB Portadisc to record in real time your MD to your computer. The sound will be as close as possible for this kind of recording, VERY close to the original. HBB Portadisc is a professional unit so don't worry with the result.

Only MZ-RH1 can do exactly what you want, transferring the tracks to WAV files and as you record this MD 20 years ago and probably at this time not with vintage professional high-end tools, I doubt you would be able to notice a difference.

5 hours ago, Kesha said:

So, I should buy this MDS W1 (one or two?) and hack it somehow?

No. The W1 will not help (hacked or not). The HHB is your friend.

Trust us, follow the procedure we gave you, and you will not regret your purchase.

You will get the best computer copies of your legacy recordings.

So how exactly do you record MD > Computer in real time from a legacy MD deck? Is there a device that will take S/PDIF output and send it via USB? I don't think I have optical or coax in on my computer. Sonic Stage is no help because it will not let you upload digitally recorded files. (I am aware of the Hi-MD exception. I do not have Hi-MD gear and don't expect to.)

16 hours ago, bluecrab said:

So how exactly do you record MD > Computer in real time from a legacy MD deck? Is there a device that will take S/PDIF output and send it via USB? I don't think I have optical or coax in on my computer. Sonic Stage is no help because it will not let you upload digitally recorded files. (I am aware of the Hi-MD exception. I do not have Hi-MD gear and don't expect to.)

bluecrab,  Kesha bought a HBB Portadisc to do that (professional unit,  USB connection). With a deck with an optical out, this is also possible put you need to evade copyright protection (I don't clearly know how to do that but sure it has been discussed hundred of times). Most of the time the copy will be analogic.

Do they put that protection on every disc? I want to copy my own music, is it gonna be protected anyway?

1 hour ago, Kesha said:

Do they put that protection on every disc? I want to copy my own music, is it gonna be protected anyway?

The HHB will transfer all legacy md tracks via usb audio, and the computer files created by Audacity (or other recording software) will not be copy-protected.