bluecrab

Sony MDS-E10 defeats SCMS

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Thought it might be worthwhile to note that the Sony MDS-E10 (pro MD deck) not only can ignore the SCMS copy-protect bit—when set to do so—but also will not propagate it. I tested this and I was, for example, able to copy a protected MD from the 930 to the E10, and vice-versa, once the E10 had stripped the SCMS.  Sony does not mention this feature in the E10's manual, at least not in the version I have. The E10 is Type R. I don't know if this applies to other decks in the E-series.

Yup I believe their silence in the manual is very telling. All the consumer decks have the screed about not making copies. I believe the E10/11/12 do not have that couple of pages :)

Another device that defeats it is the Behringer Ultra Match Pro 2496 - as you pointed out. I decided with all the MD decks in this house, it would be better to get that than yet another deck for purely that feature. YMMV.

The E10's SM has this: e10.tiff

That's the only hint!

While the U/G has this (along with the usual text):

"You can make only a first-generation copy through a digital-to-digital connection."

Could things get any weirder?!

HI everybody.

Just see that MDS-E12 has the same SCMS on/off thing in its service manual. I need to talk with phamcu in Vietnam about this, as he used to sell W1 "Full Digital Copy DIY" decks some years ago and just have one E12 decks still to sell.