want to buy mz-rh series unit.

Rate this topic

krisnadii

hay, i would like to purchase a mz-rh series player. i personally have mz-rh910. but i really feel i could use another one as a backup unit... i dont mind another mz-rh910, but of there are other unit it would be nicer. a more affordable unit like mz-rh710 will do. 

i dont have much cash, so i dont mind if the unit have cosmetic defect or something (missing chargers / nimh batteries) or no accessories... as long as it perfectly functioning 

i won't be reselling the unit and it will be on display if not being used. 

i mainly played mp3 files that i already have in my hdd, so yeah native mp3 playback is much preferred. 

thanks in advance!

Hay Philippe,

I must say the sound quality from the minidisc unit is much better than a solid state unit Cowon D2 and even my samsung phone included.

Funny how the same mp3 file can sounded much different on every player, and i happen to love the characteristic of sony players.

I have a Sony D-NE1, and it just blows the water of every player i have encountered, and I recently found that RH910 which can play Mp3 directly sound not far off.

The Minidisc is still second to my CD player in terms of absolute sound quality, but in terms of feel the minidisc won hands down. CD feels plain wonky after i have my hands on minidisc.

The small size of the player, disk, variety of color, etc, it just feels good to hold, feels mechanical. somehow it gave me that physical connection with the music collection that i got. For once i can see my music library in color ( jazz is light coloured, pop is red, electro is blue, and the mix session is in green )  it just felt good.

Perhaps im just getting old n feeling nostalgic.

Oh ya, in regards of why does it have to be able to play mp3, because most of my music files are in mp3 320. Recompressing from mp3 to atrac makes the sound quality worse to be honest.

To transfer between the pc to md is fast enough, but to encode it before transferring it, it takes considerable amount of time more. 

Another caveat of having a minidisc, is because i have good internet connection at the office, i can just record live net radio and listened them on my commute. i have to be on the factory floor most of the time so my pc is mostly idle. I did the same at home using my real radio to record talk shows n stuff.

sorry for the long post, i really must be getting old XD

Note - if you do not know the trick - that you can easily download music (and of course movies) in FLAC CD 16-bit-44,1kHz / 24 bit - 96 kHz / SACD quality (torrents). I downloaded more than 550 SACD albums and that will take years to record - in real time - a part of them on my MDS. Hi-MD adds higher bitrates than the MP3 320 kbps quality, even PCM. Another idea is to buy a recent deck, I suppose there are still many in Indonesia like in Vietnam where I live (I am french), even good Sony QS and ES series.

hmm, torrent... never thought about it ever since kick ass tor is no longer with us. pm me some link if u don't mind?

unfortunately minidisc are never sold in indonesia.

the one who have them here are mostly expatriates or those who studied abroad. 

to buy decks abroad and bring it back home is a rather risky, not sure if i can pass customs. its scary. 

btw, how do u transfer flac direct to atrac? ss4.3 wont even read flac. 

thanks

nope, nothing is tax exempt.

the ugly part is there are no clear rules on bringing things into the country. its an extortion mine fields.

the one i got pass through custom coz its very small cardboard box with used hobby parts costing 10usd label on it. should the sender write 100usd worth of music player, it would surely be impounded, and i would need to pay huge amounts to bail it out. 

oh yeah, real time recording through optical line out is very very good.

atrac hi-sp is sufficient for my needs. i havent find anything worthy to record at pcm yet. 

thanks for the tip, i will give it a shot. 

i have odesza album in flac. it would be awesome.