PC link compability chart

Rate this topic

kris01

• 4 weeks later...

Frequently the Japan version is different (usually superior).. especially with respect to the PCLK feature. This is the case for 640, 940, D5C as well. The exceptions (which have PCLK support in all editions) are PC3, 770 and possibly some others. Note that any unit with USB/NetMD (eg 980) can not do PCLK - it is one or the other.

As another example, the MDS-JA22ES (JPN model) supports a GUI interface via PCLK-MD1. Its fraternal twin, the MDS-JA20ES (ROW) does not support it. I have a 22ES and would love to give it a try, but there are more issues involved than I want to overcome.

There is no driver for PCLK in 64 bits. Does that help? Only to say that you must use the connected USB from the Virtual XP box on Windows 64. This has a very significant disadvantage though - Sony's CD drivers will not access the CD drives on the real (native) PC machine. They're fine with the CD's in the MXD-D5C and -D40 though.

Particularly i like the control of playback and editing with mouse and keyboard. Windows 7 is fine PROVIDED you use Win7/32-bits. But most people (quite sensibly) get Windows 64. There's even a 32-bit version of Windows 10 - I use it every day.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the following statement is untrue.

On 2017-06-17 at 11:24 PM, kris01 said:

M-crew needs PCLK-MN10 so it is impossible. In such situation it will be working as an separate application.  If you have music files on your PC you can edit them using M-Crew but no connection to Net-MD equipment.

The CMT-M333NT (or 373) and CMT-C5/7MD all use a special USB version of M-Crew. I have it for the M333NT. So the only connection is a standard USB cable into the unit, the functionality of the keyboard port is encapsulated into the Minidisc (bookshelf) unit. There is also a DVD bookshelf unit the CMT-M700DVD which has MD. A neat unit but I feel sure Sony locked down the DVD fairly tight so it will not be very useful outside its original area (region) of deployment.

Some or all of the same units will ALSO (alternatively) do NetMD. The function button switches roles from PC (netMD) to PCLK (M-Crew). So you do NOT need a PCLK-MN10.