MZ-N1 having troubles

Rate this topic

Hi!

My good old MZ-N1 some times has trouble reading discs : it either takes a looong time reading the TOC or a long time starting reading a specific track or having a pause in play after 1 minute in a track and, rarely, giving "READ ERR". What's strange, though, is that, if I stress it a bit voluntarily (what I mean by that is that when it happens, change tracks on purpose like 1 to 20 and back two or three times), I can then have a fully functionnal player for a few days.

I suspected :

- low voltage from bad/old battery (didn't completely ruled it out as I just found a good one (2 others would'nt light all the battery capacity stacks more than 2 minutes while one I just got give full "bricks" a long time)

- scratched/dirt lens : ruled it out after cleaning with de TDK minidisc cleaner

- laser power down : ruled it out after doing the "stress trick" and having "recalibrated" (if that means anything) with the service mode and the blank disc/pre-recorded disc with success

- my guess now is that the optical block has troubles moving from side to side precisely.

Does a combination of first and fourth cause might make sense ? any other idea ? the temporary fix by stressing it (it my "recalibrate" far left and far right course of the optical block ?) makes any sense ? 

Thanks for your ideas.

weird, can't find any greasing instructions on the service manual :/

what's even stranger is that from time to time, the mechanism will translate swiftly from the extremities (so less than a second is needed to play last track from first track) and other times, il will do it little steps by little steps, making up to 40s to reach last track from the first.

other difference : when the player seems well, the lens will always go back near the center when opening the player though when struggling, it will not even try to move the lens back when opening the lid...

talking to myself a bit but hey, I experiment and find new things...

ruled out a motor or optical block problem after a new discovery...

When the "struggling" happens, if I simply press firmly somewhere on the lid, the swift movement returns. My stress test was in fact a way to hold the unit with both hands and unknowingly pressing the lid.

Yet I still don't really understand what causes this. The open/close switch should make the unit on or off but should'nt do this weird thing... If someone has an idea...