christinesmith

MZ-M200 - one shot copying limit

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

This built-in limit to copying really has me nervous, it can detonate half the reason I want this item. So allow this rookie to ask for the step-by-step procedures of assuring the best chance of not screwing up, and even more important, the exact pitfalls to be avoided with no retry or recourse.

If there is a full review of this subject in another thread, please link for me, thanx.

The MZ-M200 is the RH1 plus a Sony ECM-DS70P microphone. So basically, you need a review for the MZ-RH1.

You can get a lot of answers with one of the very first topics on the subjet, the new MZ-RH1.

Not "one chance only to copy" rather "one generation only". That's the nature of SCMS, too.

What the limit means is that you can make a copy (as many times as you like), but you cannot make a copy of a copy.

There used to be control over the number of copies in your database that you could check OUT to a device. But you're worrying about the opposite, copying things FROM a device (the RH1) to a computer. In point of fact the limit on the number of copies is completely gone. Sony abandoned monitoring this when they closed the CONNECT store, which relied on this mechanism for distribution of copyrighted material (like iTunes or Amazon). However there are still some vestigial bits of the (software) mechanism floating around - eg if you look up the properties of a track it will state the "Transfer count". The point is, it no longer matters.