Sony Insider Forums
zzzuppp

ONKYO MD105FX/MD133 (Hi-MD) English Manual pdf - anyone interested?

Rate this topic

I know we have already talk about it but it could be usefull to remind us which are the Atrac formats that could be import/edit/save in Sond Forge Pro.

Sound ForgePro 12 manage the DSD format : I will be interested to save my music directly in Atrac files (that could be transfer to my MD discs). 

For a real time recording, I have recently ordered this : http://taingheviet.com/topping-d10.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100 which is a half DAC half DAC interface (if followed by a better DAC).

The answer is: all of them. However they must be decrypted (unprotected) using the Sonic Stage File Conversion Tool (FCT) that is within SS. I have no idea what's in 12, you should be able to see from the menus.

One very small caveat, the default extension for new saves of ATRAC is .aa3, not .OMA. This requires a little bit of messing around. However if you edit a file which is already .oma (or .OMA), it will save with the correct extension.

I'm sure you're aware that the metadata for OMA is a minor extension of the metadata for MP3, with MP3 in the signature replaced by EA3.

Hi, thanks for your advice and patience.

1.What version of Sound Forge I should have for editing MD and is there any free version which will do the job?

2.What do you mean by decrypting ATRAC files?

3. When I'll transfer my CD into my hard drive through Sonic Stage, what would be the optimal and best format?

4."In turn this means you must learn how to decrypt uploaded files (OMA) using Sonic Stage" - is it complicated or rather easy?

3. I just got the Onkyo Hi-MD 105fx. I've notice it doesn't start the music where it was stopped like my other MD walkmans like RH-1. I can't find in the manual about this function. Probably it doesn't have this kind of memory like the portable does.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:20 AM, madaradam said:

Is there a Mac version of Sonic Stage?

Here's what there is for Mac:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/Z0005379

This has been reported, though, to not work on current MacOS or any versions near-current. And it's for Hi-MD only.

Some Mac users have worked around the SS Windows-only restriction by running a Windows VM on current MacOS, with success.

2 hours ago, madaradam said:

thank you very much but it doesn't work. I have  OS El Capitan.

HiMD.tiff

That's correct. That's much too recent. Last known compatibility was either 10.5 or 10.6. If I were inclined to use SS, I'd go with either a VM on Mac or just use Windows, as I have both. I gave it a try, but for various reasons decided to not use SS. Good luck with whatever path you follow!

On 4/26/2018 at 6:01 PM, madaradam said:

Hi, thanks for your advice and patience.

1.What version of Sound Forge I should have for editing MD and is there any free version which will do the job?

2.What do you mean by decrypting ATRAC files?

3. When I'll transfer my CD into my hard drive through Sonic Stage, what would be the optimal and best format?

4."In turn this means you must learn how to decrypt uploaded files (OMA) using Sonic Stage" - is it complicated or rather easy?

3. I just got the Onkyo Hi-MD 105fx. I've notice it doesn't start the music where it was stopped like my other MD walkmans like RH-1. I can't find in the manual about this function. Probably it doesn't have this kind of memory like the portable does.

1. 9.0 or 10.0. You can buy it as part of Video Studio for less than $50; or it comes as part of a LOT of Sony devices such as voice recorders eg ICD-SX750 and similar, also PCM-M10 (the goto recorder for live since it has good onboard mikes and can take a microSD card). You'll need a license key which should come with a new disk or purchased download.

2. When you upload from MD to PC, the file (.oma at least) is always encrypted. WAV are not, but there are two problems with that:

a. you lose the metadata so nicely preserved from the MD

b. WAV takes a lot of space (longer to backup etc)

So, the File Conversion Tool (built into SS) allows the "protection" (essentially locking it to current install of windows on your computer only) to be removed.

3. Use ATRAC Advanced Lossless, high quality, 256kbps (hiSP) lossy part. AAL is an honourable exception to the "no protection, no metadata" rule. So THOSE files do not have to be decrypted/converted.

4. See above. You MUST do it before the next time you do a System Restore, or you will lose the files uploaded since the restore point.

(note that VLC and ffmpeg can now render protected files but not in ALL formats)

5. (you wrote 3. but I get it) Decks do not save the place you stopped. Period. Sorry, but that is the specification it seems.

Due to oma files protection, I decided a long time ago not to have a library on my computer with that format. I just have Flac that I eventually converted to WMA (format & metadatas recognized by SonicStage) when I want to transfer in another format that SP. I would have take a kind look better to the ATRAC Advanced Lossless if it had been more reliable to use as any other lossless format.

Madaradam, I have discovered that in using my Onkyo to play my old MDs on, the only ones that will not play are ones that I transferred using my Mac with the Hi-MD Music Transfer that Sony provided (the Mac equivalent of Sonic Stage). The tracks show up and you can scroll through them but when I hit 'Play', nothing happens. So maybe not such a big loss.

Other Hi-MDs that I recorded (in real time, s -l-o-w-l-y) after Hi-MD transfer became unworkable on later Mac OS, play just fine.

Other than that (and the fact that it sometimes takes a couple of minutes to load an MD) I love the Onkyo.

Love your artwork, BTW, let's have some more! makes a change from all the tech-geekery.