MiniDisc Deck Disk Eject Fix

Rate this topic

mdenter

My minidisc deck MDS-JB940 quit ejecting discs a couple years ago. Turns out a small rubber belt got old and stretched out and was failing to turn the small ejection pulley. A new belt is hard to find and is expensive. In desperation I took a rubber band from a bag of rubber bands I bought from the dollar store and used it as a replacement belt. Yesterday my other minidisc deck (MDS JE470) failed to eject. Once again because the ejection belt was old and stretched out. A rubber band fixed it. So instead of searching for a “official” belt just use a rubber band. What do you have to loose? It worked for me, twice.

The problem with rubber bands is they'll eventually just snap.  Hopefully yours will last as long as possible but rubber bands can "band aid" a belt fix in a pinch (like say you needed to eject a disc stuck inside) but they really aren't great for the long term.  Typically speaking, most manufacturers use certain belt sizes/types for a wide array of applications, so it's possible you can find a belt on eBay, etc. that will work.  Sometimes it's hard to track down what you're looking for as they just have belts for certain models--you basically have to find a cross-reference for that part# and then try searching more popular models for the belt.

Anyway, given you seem to have had the one in the JB940 last a couple years, that's not bad at all! I'm actually quite surprised it's lasted that long but then again an MD's eject mechanism is pretty light duty given the small size of the discs. 

On 02/10/2017 at 3:04 PM, MDX-400 said:

The problem with rubber bands is they'll eventually just snap.  Hopefully yours will last as long as possible but rubber bands can "band aid" a belt fix in a pinch (like say you needed to eject a disc stuck inside) but they really aren't great for the long term.  Typically speaking, most manufacturers use certain belt sizes/types for a wide array of applications, so it's possible you can find a belt on eBay, etc. that will work.  Sometimes it's hard to track down what you're looking for as they just have belts for certain models--you basically have to find a cross-reference for that part# and then try searching more popular models for the belt.

Anyway, given you seem to have had the one in the JB940 last a couple years, that's not bad at all! I'm actually quite surprised it's lasted that long but then again an MD's eject mechanism is pretty light duty given the small size of the discs. 

well  the real belts are  really tiny and thin cant believe the real belts  that  good, just expensive

I have a different problem relating to disc ejecting.  The drive is in a Sony PCV-MXS10 computer, and when the minidisc is inserted it quickly ejects before the computer can read the drive.  Perhaps is a driver or sonicstage issue?  Or any is it a better chance the drive is just physically malfunctioning?  The drive was hardly ever used since the computer was purchased.  Is there anyone known to repair these things in 2017?

On 10/4/2017 at 2:11 PM, Revcarson said:

I have a different problem relating to disc ejecting.  The drive is in a Sony PCV-MXS10 computer, and when the minidisc is inserted it quickly ejects before the computer can read the drive.  Perhaps is a driver or sonicstage issue?  Or any is it a better chance the drive is just physically malfunctioning?  The drive was hardly ever used since the computer was purchased.  Is there anyone known to repair these things in 2017?

Sounds mechanical to me... the sort of thing a drive would do if there was no registration of the disk/head via servo feedback. There are microswitches, too, and it sounds like something simply doesn't work right - it thinks there's no disk in there so it makes sure to put itself in the "ready to insert disk" state.

Was the disk write protected perhaps? That might cause something in Windows to eject it. If so, try with a disk you don't care about.

What you want to do is to take a look (if you can) with the lid of the disk unit open, so you can see whether the head is attempting to load and whether the spindle is spinning. You need both for the head to get data off the drive.

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2017 at 7:45 PM, mdenter said:

My minidisc deck MDS-JB940 quit ejecting discs a couple years ago. Turns out a small rubber belt got old and stretched out and was failing to turn the small ejection pulley. A new belt is hard to find and is expensive. In desperation I took a rubber band from a bag of rubber bands I bought from the dollar store and used it as a replacement belt. Yesterday my other minidisc deck (MDS JE470) failed to eject. Once again because the ejection belt was old and stretched out. A rubber band fixed it. So instead of searching for a “official” belt just use a rubber band. What do you have to loose? It worked for me, twice.

I dusted off my je470 after the eject problem rendered it useless for over a decade and noticed the melted belt and put a pink loom band on it, it's working for now until I find a better one.

Off topic but the main pcb has lots of missing components being a cut down version. So was wondering if anyone managed to mod it. An optical out? Headphone out, even a new output opamp stage. There's a optical out mod for the je440 so hoping these 2 models are similar.

• 1 year later...

My Sony mindisc MDS-S38 has developed a problem on ejecting a disc. so that the disc is level with the slot / bezel on the unit. When pressing eject.  Cannot grab with my fingers as normal. So Ejects to that point and sticks. Then the system overrides the eject issue and goes back in the unit. Still ejects after a couple of times trying. But My question is. Is that the symptoms of the start of the end of the ejection belt. Or is something more serious? 

• 3 weeks later...

I went to an orthodontist and asked for some of the latex bands that are used for braces.  I asked for some with a diameter of approx. 3/8 of an inch.  They just gave me an entire small bag of about 100 of them.  They were not all identical, so I looked for any that looked to be cut a little thicker (& therefore stronger I hoped).  It's a little tricky to replace the belt, but there are videos on youtube showing exactly how to do it.  I have 2 players that needed new bands, and those latex ones from the orthodontist worked perfectly! (And they were free!!)

For MDM-7 variant drives, I've been using the 17mm belts from eBay seller chn_03 (Charles Holt) in the UK. I've repaired 3 decks (MDS-JE440, MDS-JE480, MDS-E10) with these recently. (Charlie was very helpful and sold me a multi-pack of just the 17mm size).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17mm-Rubber-Drive-Belt-for-Cassette-Deck-Player-CD-ROM-DVD-Player-etc/192420535089

It's about a 5 minute job to replace these:

1. Unplug
  2. Remove lid (4 side screws, maybe 1 rear screw)
  3. Remove the drive from the deck
    1. 4 mount screws
    2. Two ribbon cables from the main PCB
    3. Maybe a chassis earth in some units to unclip from the main chassis
  4. Use tweezers to lift off the vertical tensioner spring on the left (drive opening facing you) - careful to not let it ping away!!!
  5. Ease apart the vertical slider at the rear, left gently and slide to the left the upper part of the disk load frame - and you're in for an easy belt change.
  6. Refit is the reverse, keeping the ribbon cables square as you gently reinsert into their sockets on the main PCB.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trott3r said:

Any chance you could do a video or have found a video i could view?

See the video from this thread. The guy on the video is Russian, so you probably won't gain anything by listening (unless you understand Russian), but I watched the video which gave me this tip. Saved my bacon as I wasn't fancying key-hole surgery on a number of machines which is what all the other YouTube videos do!

Note you DON'T need to disconnect the OWH cable as he does. Just the spring and the clip on the rear. The OWH will stay with the main chassis.

1. Spring at 0:12 DON'T LOSE THE SPRING! Fine tweezers needed - I just lift out the top "hook" from the metal eye, but the spring probably will fall off the plastic peg at the bottom, so remove it and keep it safe.
  2. Rear clip at 1:04
  3. Lift and slide top frame at 1:15

1 hour ago, trott3r said:

4 decks and all  have the eject problem :(

They won't in about 5 minutes when you've done the above!!! 

Good luck!

Kevin

• 5 months later...
35 minutes ago, G1UCR said:

They helped me repair my JE-440 with a plumber's O ring in a short time.

Good work! Although I tended to find plumbing O-rings a little thick and stiff. I hope you found one that fits the pulleys nicely and is not straining the axle geometry at either end. The beltsI've looked at, even those that are still working well, are not under much tension and they are not particularly chunky belts.

Kevin

Hello.

the first O ring I tried was too thick and that did not work. A thinner O ring did and although it is a little tighter on the pulleys I stretched it several times as I have noticed in the past that this what plumber's O rings do; consistent tension may not always be critical over the working life. It usually is when first fitting though. I will keep an eye on it.

• 1 month later...

I have a number of JB940  decks  one of which I have already had to replace the eject mechanism belt, that had been in storeage, but I got out to just give it a try. The one I have  linked up to my  hifi system hadnt been used for a few months & I always keep a disc in just in case I want to record some thing from the radio, off the  fly. Today this happened and the disc wouldnt  eject, I thought ah time  to do this one so  took off the lid and with power on and ejecting  gave the disc a nudge. And it ejected and all seems  good now, no need to replace the belt , well  not just yet. So the  thing to learn maybe is not to keep a disc in the deck?

By the way the "belts" I bought  are not the original expensive ones  but a pack meant for tying  hair as in pony tails, off ebay, they aint the best but about the  right size and seem to work and are very  cheap - I dont see any point in using the real thing as sooner or later you wont be able to get any so need to find an alternative  source now, as the hardware I think can last decades?

• 1 month later...

When my JE470 arrived recently I needed a quick replacement for the loading belt and found myself a bag of 600(!) small rubber bands in a suitable size at a hobby store which did the trick for me at least.
This is what I got for £5 (from another store and not Walmart):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rainbow-Loom-Black-Rubber-Bands-Refill-Pack-RL13-600-ct/47924563
Before anyone laugh, now I can replace this 599 times more at no extra cost. Instead of buying a "genuine" belt from the bay at £5 each :)

/Per

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, rm22903 said:

Does anyone have the dimensions for the eject drive belt?

17mm diameter, 0.8mm square section, Sony part 4-227-025-01.

We had quite a long chat about them here. Skip to later on, but I've given you a link from the top of the thread: