Sony Insider Forums
mdenter

MiniDisc Deck Disk Eject Fix

Rate this topic

My minidisc deck MDS-JB940 quit ejecting discs a couple years ago. Turns out a small rubber belt got old and stretched out and was failing to turn the small ejection pulley. A new belt is hard to find and is expensive. In desperation I took a rubber band from a bag of rubber bands I bought from the dollar store and used it as a replacement belt. Yesterday my other minidisc deck (MDS JE470) failed to eject. Once again because the ejection belt was old and stretched out. A rubber band fixed it. So instead of searching for a “official” belt just use a rubber band. What do you have to loose? It worked for me, twice.

thanks for the tip,

Do you have a length and thickness for this rubber band.

How did you fit it?

Do you have to take the transport apart or is it easy to slip it on for a home user?

The problem with rubber bands is they'll eventually just snap.  Hopefully yours will last as long as possible but rubber bands can "band aid" a belt fix in a pinch (like say you needed to eject a disc stuck inside) but they really aren't great for the long term.  Typically speaking, most manufacturers use certain belt sizes/types for a wide array of applications, so it's possible you can find a belt on eBay, etc. that will work.  Sometimes it's hard to track down what you're looking for as they just have belts for certain models--you basically have to find a cross-reference for that part# and then try searching more popular models for the belt.

Anyway, given you seem to have had the one in the JB940 last a couple years, that's not bad at all! I'm actually quite surprised it's lasted that long but then again an MD's eject mechanism is pretty light duty given the small size of the discs. 

On 02/10/2017 at 3:04 PM, MDX-400 said:

The problem with rubber bands is they'll eventually just snap.  Hopefully yours will last as long as possible but rubber bands can "band aid" a belt fix in a pinch (like say you needed to eject a disc stuck inside) but they really aren't great for the long term.  Typically speaking, most manufacturers use certain belt sizes/types for a wide array of applications, so it's possible you can find a belt on eBay, etc. that will work.  Sometimes it's hard to track down what you're looking for as they just have belts for certain models--you basically have to find a cross-reference for that part# and then try searching more popular models for the belt.

Anyway, given you seem to have had the one in the JB940 last a couple years, that's not bad at all! I'm actually quite surprised it's lasted that long but then again an MD's eject mechanism is pretty light duty given the small size of the discs. 

well  the real belts are  really tiny and thin cant believe the real belts  that  good, just expensive

I have a different problem relating to disc ejecting.  The drive is in a Sony PCV-MXS10 computer, and when the minidisc is inserted it quickly ejects before the computer can read the drive.  Perhaps is a driver or sonicstage issue?  Or any is it a better chance the drive is just physically malfunctioning?  The drive was hardly ever used since the computer was purchased.  Is there anyone known to repair these things in 2017?

Your Sony PCV-MXS10 is a collector. Keep it preciously. Try to contact directly NGY here and also Jonathan (http://www.jonathandupre.fr/) alias jonathanpotato here to explain your problem, they have very good technical knowledge about MD units.

On 10/4/2017 at 2:11 PM, Revcarson said:

I have a different problem relating to disc ejecting.  The drive is in a Sony PCV-MXS10 computer, and when the minidisc is inserted it quickly ejects before the computer can read the drive.  Perhaps is a driver or sonicstage issue?  Or any is it a better chance the drive is just physically malfunctioning?  The drive was hardly ever used since the computer was purchased.  Is there anyone known to repair these things in 2017?

Sounds mechanical to me... the sort of thing a drive would do if there was no registration of the disk/head via servo feedback. There are microswitches, too, and it sounds like something simply doesn't work right - it thinks there's no disk in there so it makes sure to put itself in the "ready to insert disk" state.

Was the disk write protected perhaps? That might cause something in Windows to eject it. If so, try with a disk you don't care about.

What you want to do is to take a look (if you can) with the lid of the disk unit open, so you can see whether the head is attempting to load and whether the spindle is spinning. You need both for the head to get data off the drive.