Sony Insider Forums
mimarsinan

Change Language of Japanese MZ-RH1 Unit

Rate this topic

Would line-in still be a mismatch if I'm happy with 16/44?

Are there any artificial restrictions on recordings I make - I remember some "first/second generation digital copy" stuff...

I'd still need to be able to transfer tracks to my PC. Does their SonicStage work with Windows 10?

11 hours ago, sfbp said:

Philippe - can you see the back of your giraffe? Mine is in English, the Japanese one will be in Japanese.

Sorry Stephen, when Jim sent me back my RH1 units, I dressed the grey unit with a green panther sticker design (the orange marsupilami was  far more beautiful). 

So the informations are not apparent, except if I put off the skin, a thing I don't want to do as the poor unit has many scratches.

The text unit is in english though.

3 hours ago, mimarsinan said:

Would line-in still be a mismatch if I'm happy with 16/44?

Are there any artificial restrictions on recordings I make - I remember some "first/second generation digital copy" stuff...

I'd still need to be able to transfer tracks to my PC. Does their SonicStage work with Windows 10?

PCM uploads are a real pain. The file you get is NOT a WAV file, but is protected. So now you have to go through the whole "convert" thing before being able to edit it. So you get a lot of files floating around (and the WAV files have no metadata, of course). It's quite easy to lose track of the parts of your recording. I would strongly recommend upconverting them to 24 bits before doing any more editing, as well.

Line in is so vulnerable to electrical noise (the horrible 3.5mm jack) that I don't trust it on most MD recorders. You may be fine, you may not be - it's usually a function of the cable, but also the jack sockets are the first things (after the jog lever) to go sideways. Also the possibility of ground loops if you are using a  sound system as input but want to have the MD running on mains? Perhaps an  A->D and use optical signal? That's one strike *against* the PCM-M10 which does NOT do optical in. I was thinking the direct mikes in the PCM-10 which have always done wonderfully, but if you would get a better recording from the sound system, that's your decision. What I'm trying to say is: for microphone recordings, use something with a bigger dynamic range (ie 24 bits) so that you don't overload and yet still can amplify very quiet passages (if they exist). I don't trust the auto-gain function on any of these recorders (MD or not) for real musical purposes.

There are plenty of good news.

All MD units have an optical "mini-jack toslink" in. The recording quality is so good (even considering a compression) that you can consider to buy a very good digital cable (jack 3.5" to mini-jack) like an Audioquest Forest. Same thing for the headphone. If you use it as a portable unit,  buy also a carying pouch (with at least one hole to connect the headphone) to prevent scratches (a lever cigar boxe is even possible). And use it gently every time you open it to change the disc or use the buttons. Doing that you will be able to resell the unit in some years at the same price you bough it. About the recordings modes, there are different "schools"  here about what is the best for you (not only for the quality but also for  question of storage, time, full universality between different generation of all your units, etc). The best news is that it is still quite easy to find (cheap) standard MD discs (no need of only sealed ones) that can be formatted in Hi-MD mode (or not), 1 Gb Hi-MD are nethertheless quite rare and expensive nowadays. And finally you will use a vintage audio device that will last a loooong time with you (if you use it gently). Beside another less expensive portable unit and  a (good) deck are warmly advise. 

I don't plan on going running with the device, but I was hoping I could take it on walks with me.

Interesting that you can format standard MD discs in Hi-MD mode. Is this dangerous at all?

Do the copying limitations apply even to the optical line input, for my original work?

I don't know a lot about copyright and limitations when you transfer music to the disc or upload files with the help of the RH1. There are some topics about this in the forum. 

1 hour ago, mimarsinan said:

I don't plan on going running with the device, but I was hoping I could take it on walks with me.

Interesting that you can format standard MD discs in Hi-MD mode. Is this dangerous at all?

Do the copying limitations apply even to the optical line input, for my original work?

It's m u c h cheaper to use standard MDs than HiMD 1GB. The capacity is about double what you get in legacy more, 141 minutes in Hi-SP (256k). I would highly recommend this for your live recordings. The 1GB disks use a lot more battery, too, since you are writing a lot more data to the MD.

You can upload the file but unless you take steps to unprotect it, it will be locked to your machine (and the current Windows install) unless you convert to WAV every time. However the "unprotection" is the way to go... the "File Conversion Tool" is built into SonicStage and the result of running it is that your files are no longer at the mercy of Sony's overly-fussy rules.

Heh, yes.... but.

1. You need to turn off driver signing (assuming you have 64-bit Windows you're going to need the (unsigned) driver files I made for NetMD) to install. In windows 10 this is not so easy

2. you should turn off automatic updating (and you can turn it on once a week or whenever but you will lose your encrypted files unless you're very careful). The relevant registry key is HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Update, and you need a value "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess" set to 1 (DWORD). This is the only known way of disabling Windows 10 updates, unless you can enforce from a domain policy (not as easy as it may sound).

The other trick is that, if your installation appears to crap out, DO NOT uninstall before retrying. Just do it over the top of the mess, it should work fine.

Give it a shot but I'm not optimistic. Sony tends to do lowlevel hw things.

Did you get into service mode?

Well, device is here. Most display elements seem English on the main device. The remote does display some Japanese, and there doesn't seem to be an option to turn it off. However as far as I can tell, the language out-of-the-box is mostly English, which is a relief.

Sadly there was no disc in the box, so I am waiting for my Hi-MD's to arrive before I can move further with using the unit. They definitely did a good job on shrinking the whole device down to the size of one disc, give or take. That's what I do remember Sony for - in a good way :)

Surprised about the remote. Poke around and see if there's an English language option. If not, I'm fairly sure we can make it into a US/Canada version, as long as you can get into service mode.

If u have ordinary MDs they work just fine. Choice of standard (legacy) format or HiMd format which gives almost double the amount of data (and it's a slightly better Codec).

Haven't really ordered regular MD's yet. Started with the Hi's right off the bat. Waiting for them to arrive.

Sure, I'll experiment with bricking the device :) Let me know if you have any specific instructions for region swap.

If you can get in, follow the instructions in the English language service manual. I think N. America is Region 01 (japan is either 20 or 23 IIRC). Page 19 "Set destination".

No worries about the volume cap as it doesn't apply in either venue, only to Europe. Mind you, the other distressing thing about this unit is that I blame my tinnitus on it ;( So maybe the French regulators were right to have the volume cap, sigh.

3 hours ago, sfbp said:

I blame my tinnitus on it

If you listened to Hard Core music or Ted Nugent Live  this also could be another cause...

ROFL I don't need a walkman to suffer from that, right? (Not that I have any clue what either of those musics is)

On the topic of service mode, if you really cannot get in (and I wasted at least an hour trying with two different units), I wonder if it's worth posting the software that Sony supplied for EARLIER models to get in? Possibly some bright spark can figure out how to reconfigure it so that it will tweak the HiMD's into service mode. The only catch: this software was written for Windows 98 (!!!!) so whoever it is may have to find an old machine to get it up and running. I have exactly one machine that I can set back to Windows 98 (and I haven't for ages).

So I've set the destination properly.

I tried both 81 and 01.

No noticeable change.

There's still Kanji on the remote display when I cycle through the Sound modes by clicking the Sound button.

Everything else was already in and seems to remain in English...

Any further ideas on how I can update the remote display?

I'd love to get this sorted!

What was it before setting? Did you check the value by going to another value (read) and then re-reading the one you'd just set?

This is pure imagination, but I wonder if the SECOND value (0114) is the value for the remote? In the RH10 it's set to 80. But you might see what that setting is on your RH1. I can't check as it seems impossible for me to get into service mode.

It was 3 - Japan. Yes, I've verified the changes are sticking.

It was hard for me to get into service mode as well, I eventually figured out the instructions were for buttons *on* the main unit and *not* the remote.

I like your suggestion to check out 0114. I'll try that now. Here's to hoping that doesn't brick the system!

If 03 is Japan, makes me wonder if 02 is all-japanese where 03 is japan tourist model (combination of Eng and Jap). You could try 04 and 05 and see what you get. It occurs to me that somewhere they have to have a menu for French/German/Italian/Spanish..... do you get that with 81?

Beware that the buttons on the unit go dry rather sooner than later. Once they do, it seems almost impossible to use them.