Sony Insider Forums
mimarsinan

Change Language of Japanese MZ-RH1 Unit

Rate this topic

I never had any trouble with the RH1 as a playback device. Try something other than PCM.

8 hours ago, mimarsinan said:

I had actually asked another question:

Is there no MegaBass or similar option on this device then?

The MegaBass was only on some early units. Later on there´s a custom EQ that you can edit via the remote in this case. The Main Body of the RH1 got no Button to change the EQ.

Just try to hold the "Sound" Button on the remote to enter the Menu

So I made a 2+ hour recording in Hi-SP mode.

Couldn't get the digital line in to work, despite countless converters and adapters between the mixers coax and the units optical in. Ended up recording analog.

Now transferring the data. I must say the device sounds exactly like a cross between a floppy drive and a modern laptop hard drive.

It's remarkable. Will upload the set soon.

3 hours ago, mimarsinan said:

So I made a 2+ hour recording in Hi-SP mode.

Couldn't get the digital line in to work, despite countless converters and adapters between the mixers coax and the units optical in. Ended up recording analog.

Now transferring the data. I must say the device sounds exactly like a cross between a floppy drive and a modern laptop hard drive.

It's remarkable. Will upload the set soon.

Coax-toslink adaptators could be not reliable. Sorry that it did not work for you.

Once the Net-MD arised, the MD has been forboded as the next floppy drive before Zip drive arrived with his big-in-hand 256Mb/1Gb disks. Sonny missed something there.

So do you think this is a problem with the adapter? When I plug it in, there is red light coming from the device, but it is not pulsing at all (I don't know if the digital signal encoding is human visible in any way).

You didn't see a pulse but you see the light ? Maybe this a question of frequency. MD accept 24bit-48kHz max.

What are the sources before the MD ?

59 minutes ago, mimarsinan said:

No pulsation, just a steady red light.

The source is a Pioneer DJM 900 SRT mixer, its Digital Main Out.

Why do you need a mixer between your music and the MD unit ? Surely your CD player / PC ou Mac / DVd have an S/PDIF optical out ?

I use the mixer and 3x Pioneer CDJ 900 NXS2's to make my sets (or perform live) and then the MiniDisc to record the sets (the track marking is very convenient).

Your Md is connected to the Master out I suppose...

Maybe you set the mixer to 24bit-96kHz instead of 24bit-48kHz ?

Time for me to go to bed.

The right answer is close : setting of the DJ unit or the mixer, coaxial-toslink adaptator, somewhere here.

Any fluctuations visible by eye are nothing to do with the signal. If there's a good connection, you will see a steady light. Period.

Remember that the only formats that MD can process are:

32Khz; 44.1Khz (native); 48Khz. The outliers are converted to 44.1 by some resampling that Sony built in to almost every recording device.

The other problem is that many devices put out a signal with one or both of the copy bits (SCMS) set. In this case you need a stripper. The easiest way to get this functionality is with a PC that has optical in AND optical out, since most sound cards allow you to control the SCMS setttings for yourself.

Stephen

I really doubt the DJM 900 NXS2 sets any copy bits.

All indicators point to a Khz mismatch in the mixer output thus far. Nice to know such nuances are not lost on the copper digital out cable!

I'll double check that and let you know what I find. Thanks for the feedback!