Sony Insider Forums

Rate this topic

The MDS-W1 does what you want for SP and MDLP disks.

HiMD isn't such a problem because as long as you unprotect them, uploaded files can be made to a new disk that looks a lot like the old one.

7 hours ago, sfbp said:

The MDS-W1 does what you want for SP and MDLP disks.

The MDS-W1 clones SP and MONO tracks. LP2 and LP4 tracks cannot be cloned (they are transformed into silent SP tracks).

Does the MDS-W1 do bit for bit cloning? Info reads like it's an optical transfer? 

Looking at the MDS-B5/B6P seems promising: 'Two units cabled together can perform high speed (4X) disc cloning, including both audio and text, with no ATRAC generation loss.'

The question is : how many discs do you need to copy ? If there are a few, maybe philippeb who live in France can do that for you.

5 hours ago, chri5 said:

Does the MDS-W1 do bit for bit cloning? Info reads like it's an optical transfer? 

Looking at the MDS-B5/B6P seems promising: 'Two units cabled together can perform high speed (4X) disc cloning, including both audio and text, with no ATRAC generation loss.'

The MDS-W1 works exactly like a pair of B5/B6. It transfers raw ATRAC data, bit for bit (with defrag) via its internal optical link (as found by sfbp).

15 hours ago, philippeb said:

The MDS-W1 clones SP and MONO tracks. LP2 and LP4 tracks cannot be cloned (they are transformed into silent SP tracks).

Speaking as a non-owner of an MDS-W1, didn't we speculate that one could easily TOC-clone the catalogue of an MDLP disk onto the destination?

Cheers

Stephen

3 hours ago, sfbp said:

Speaking as a non-owner of an MDS-W1, didn't we speculate that one could easily TOC-clone the catalogue of an MDLP disk onto the destination?

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen, are you trying to imagine the W1 beeing some kind of a MD recovery unit ?

Thanks all, both units are a bit pricey for me. I have 150 to duplicate for a MD release on my record label next year. I've got a Tascam MD-02 deck that will hopefully last for the task.

11 hours ago, PhilippeC said:

Stephen, are you trying to imagine the W1 beeing some kind of a MD recovery unit ?

Not exactly. But if it does duplicate the binary data, then:

a. this is what OP needs (sounds like he's making an SP release)

b. for MDLP disks, another deck will be used to clone the TOC, but the data will have been copied.

"Recovery" to me means getting data off a disk which is unplayable. I would hazard a guess that if the MDS-W1 copies such a disk, the result will also be unplayable.

34 minutes ago, sfbp said:

"Recovery" to me means getting data off a disk which is unplayable. I would hazard a guess that if the MDS-W1 copies such a disk, the result will also be unplayable.

A test that philippeb could do (have done) one day when I will get (had got) an unreadable MD. 

LP2/LP4 tracks are designed to fool pre-MDLP machines, that will recognize and play them as silent SP tracks. The W1 will clone them as such, and TOC cloning will not help, because the actual data transfered will be silence.

TOC Cloning is usefull for recovery (and resetting SCMS bits ; irrelevant for a W1 owner). I routinely perform TOC cloning with a MDS-JB920 to recover TOCs that I have damaged or erased by accident (I tend to edit my discs like mad).

Last remark. I have also helped members of the forum to recover data from poorly recorded disks, with a pro HHb MDP 500 Portadisc, that happens to be a champion at reading out of specs discs that other units fail to read.

Oh, that's a shame. I'm sure you told us all this, and I forgot (about the data transferred NOT being all the data that is there but only silence).

Aaah philippeb, one day I feel I will crack down in the MD world bying the W1 unit. At least I can find one quite easily in Viêt-Nam.

"Aaah philippeb, one day I feel I will crack down in the MD world bying the W1 unit. At least I can find one quite easily in Viêt-Nam.'

You can? What do they cost there?

That's not much! Well, if I'm ever in the neighborhood... [sigh]...I was just never quite able to get my hands on one of these. A couple of deals fell through (UK and JPN). A Danish guy was going to sell me one...until I got a Danish-speaking colleague involved, who found out that the would-be seller didn't actually have the deck yet...he could get me one, he said...no thanks, I said. And then there was someone here in the US who just wanted too much $$$. The big draw for me was not so much the bit-copy ability as it was the sequential play and the two independent mechanisms. C'est la vie.

Thanks! The prices on buyee certainly are in line with what I would pay. However, my prior experience there resulted in what seemed to be higher additional fees than they originally stated, and by a lot. There was also an issue with the new-looking item itself (MDS-JA22ES) that had  to be resolved. With help from here and elsewhere, the problem was fixed, although likely not permanently. Perhaps that was just a one-off in terms of what to expect, but it did make me wary. It doesn't help that all the MDS-W1 units are almost 20 years old now, with no easy way to tell beforehand what each one has been through. Five years ago, I probably would have just done it and hoped for the best. Not so today. Still tempting!

I bought a deck only if I am sure that i will be able to find a replacement for a lens and drive parts. Pham Cu (member here) is my own Jim "fix it" Hoggart of mine and is a good adviser. 

Had another thought re cloning and trying to save time copying 100s of discs in real time.

Once I've recorded the master minidisc (CD>OPTICAL>MD) in original standard play format. 

Using the mz-rh1 I name the tracks on the minidisc via sonic stage then copy the atrac files from the disc to the PC. Put another minidisc in the mz-rh1 and copy the atrac files back to MD?

1 hour ago, chri5 said:

Had another thought re cloning and trying to save time copying 100s of discs in real time. Once I've recorded the master minidisc (CD>OPTICAL>MD) in original standard play format. Using the mz-rh1 I name the tracks on the minidisc via sonic stage then copy the atrac files from the disc to the PC. Put another minidisc in the mz-rh1 and copy the atrac files back to MD?

Easiest way

1) transfer the CD tracks on the PC in lossless format like WMA

2) import the files in Sonic Stage

3) transfer to the MD (except SP, SS is creating a false one) : LP2, LP4, all Hi-MD formats

4) SP = only real time, music can come from the PC (WMA lossless files) or the CD in the tray or a CD player.

I don't think that creating a MD in real time then upload the files with a RH1 and transfer them to another MD using SS (not SP this time) can save you time. More, the music is compressed the first time and will be recompressed the second time. Transfer PC to MD mean a compression. If you record in real time live music in PCM, you can make a MD copy that will compressed only one time.

The MD copy process is NOT a thing that Sony has wanted to be easy, except for pro unit or with the MDS- W1 physically hacked or with a service mode trick.