Sony Insider Forums

Rate this topic

I have read than a guy somewhere in the world years ago have released in own music only (or also) on a minidisc : was this you ?

There is also a corean guy here who built nice cardboard boxes label design (see link but there are no more pictures)

See also

This unit is the one for MD copying. Maybe you could have a deal with philippeb (in France) to borrow one of his W1. Or ask him to make all that work for you (2 or 3 MD copy per day) or you pay a price more expensive than the correct price to philippeb for his unit, have done the job in one or two months and then when job is done, send his unit back (and your money back to you) .

I know that I could find one of those W1 units here (hacked) but this is quite risky to send it to England. This is much easier to send 150 or more MD blanks to somebody who have an unit in Europe. Maybe you can ask on the Facebook Minidisc Group if somebodu has a unit W1 to sell ? 

On 11.12.2017 at 8:16 AM, philippeb said:

The MDS-W1 clones SP and MONO tracks. LP2 and LP4 tracks cannot be cloned (they are transformed into silent SP tracks).

Let alone this Fact tells me that the Discs aren´t cloned but rather just re-encoded.

I got a Denon MD Replicator that copies all Discs. The Unit is pre MDLP but copies them too.

That said it´s pure logic that the MDS-W1 don´t copy the Raw Atrac Data isn´t it ?

that unit

On 19.12.2017 at 10:38 AM, chri5 said:

Had another thought re cloning and trying to save time copying 100s of discs in real time.

Once I've recorded the master minidisc (CD>OPTICAL>MD) in original standard play format. 

Using the mz-rh1 I name the tracks on the minidisc via sonic stage then copy the atrac files from the disc to the PC. Put another minidisc in the mz-rh1 and copy the atrac files back to MD?

Import Format can be .wav and Atrac3+256 kb/s. If you want to transfer them to a 2nd Disc you are limited to Atrac3+ or MDLP modes.There is no software based Sp encoder :/

So after all you will need a Denon unit like mine or the Sony professional Decks as mentioned before.

There´s a test Version of QHimd that transfers .wav files @ 4xSpeed to SP on NetMD units. The Recorder does the decode part similar to the combo Decks.

I tried this myself some times but didn´t succeed to get a 100% playable Disc.There was constant nooise after a certain % .I think a 32Bit OS could have been the Key to get a working Disc in the end

Or you go straight Hi-MD .. which is not what you might want to

Edited by punkrockaddict
add info

2 hours ago, punkrockaddict said:

Let alone this Fact tells me that the Discs aren´t cloned but rather just re-encoded.

I got a Denon MD Replicator that copies all Discs. The Unit is pre MDLP but copies them too.

That said it´s pure logic that the MDS-W1 don´t copy the Raw Atrac Data isn´t it ?

I agree with you that the Denon MD Replicator is the most suitable machine for dumb disc replication. Regarding the versatile MDS-W1, your are wrong : the W1 copies raw data bit for bit in the ATRAC domain, without reencoding. I proved it a while ago in another thread.

I uploaded original and copy tracks with MZ-RH1/Sonic Stage to a computer, and compared the resulting data files. They were bit for bit identical, except for the very last frame -- yes, this is a firmware bug, easily worked around or ignored, as the last frame is usually silent.

That said, I knew it from the start. My ears are still good enough to distinguish between ATRAC generations, simply by listening to the tracks :)

Slightly off topic, if I use SonicStage to transfer the files I have recorded in standard MD format, does SonicStage compress them or alter them when copying back to PC? I'm using the RH1 to transfer them.

Unfortunately, yes.

Exceptions are:

a. all Hi-MD formats

b. all MDLP formats

(ie everything except SP).

MD->PC gets converted to Hi-SP (I think: but someone's going to tell me that under the covers it uses PCM and the PCM->WAV happens at the PC).

PC->MD gets converted to LP2 and padded when it gets to the MD. We refer to this as "Fake SP".

Sorry.

Can you explain again (and again) why Sound Forge is usueful for you ?

Fender-MD said that "Sound forge allows converting FLAC to AA3 (unprotected atrac3plus anybitrate you need or even atrac Lossless) with a batch processor. The only problem is that it doesn't copy metadatas from the source to the destination..."

What happen with the metadatas if the source is Wma lossless instead of Flac ?

Still no conversion possible in SP even passing by Atrac lossless ?

(Up in mid-night so won't be long or even necessarily accurate - you've seen my answers under such condition before!)

It's useful because I can:

a. edit out pops, clicks and background noise as well as split accurately without wearing out buttons on some poor MD unit that needs to survive :)

b. transform in lots of ways (mix channels etc), fade in and out, increase volume digitally etc (all the things one does in cooledit/audacity like normalize or  balance)

c. change formats (eg WAV->MP3) by using SaveAs. I have no experience with WMA (except once) or Flac (also once when I received a set of files)

d. Edit ATRAC (which no other tool can do). Note that much of the metadata in this case is almost the same as MP3 with "ID" replaced by "EA" in the header if I remember it right, ie EA3 instead of ID3. So very easy for *that* metadata to be transformed.

Please note, the batch processing referred to does not come in the free (or $30) version of SF. For that you need Sound Forge Pro which costed $500 or so. Not even sure it's still available legitimately, and I have never used it. Studio Pro and Studio Platinum do NOT contain SF Pro - but only the regular Sound Forge (9 or 10). However it's not difficult to edit 30 files (a whole CD or MD full) as the editor is very efficient on use of RAM, using virtual memory very nicely.

SP was carefully designed by Sony not to be a PCdisk-based format. We think maybe part of their agreement with Dolby, but there may be some technical reason too. So whilst Adrian and his gang may be able to create the SP format, there are no software tools to manipulate it available, at least outside Sony Corporation. One may as well just buy an MDS-W1 or Denon diskduplicator. SP also predates the IDEA of metadata, it's just raw data (as is PCM); whereas MDLP and A3+ (aka ATRAC-X) have metadata built into the file format.

I have seen some strange behaviour when duplicating minidiscs. I'm using optical sync on a Tascam MD-02 deck. The total length of each disk varies by +/- 2 seconds. 

Also had some sync errors which means a track is missing, this happens in about 1 in every 5 discs. 

I know this problem wont be common as not many will have had the need to duplicate so many discs but just wondering if you have any thoughts or suggestions?

5 hours ago, chri5 said:

I have seen some strange behaviour when duplicating minidiscs. I'm using optical sync on a Tascam MD-02 deck. The total length of each disk varies by +/- 2 seconds.

Just a guess : the total lenght may vary depending on the level at which a low signal is treated as silence by the recorder.

This does effect the length but, it's the same CD being copied and the same setting used to sync (silence level detect + new track detect on the Tascam). 

Also I have come across some bad minidiscs that throw more sync errors to the point I have to abandon the copy and use another disc!

chris5, as you told me in a PM that you (or make) print yourself the cover/booklet, can you show us exactly how do you make it (templates, etc) ?

I am using Sony Neige 80 discs. I've had some transparent stickers made with white ink. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GzDIcXGlKX4AyqLq6ul7SqZv3ZrGhubq/view?usp=sharing

I'm using the standard frosted white cases that come with the neige but replacing the j-card inside. I'll post the full product and templates once it's released. It will be a few months yet!

RackMultipart20180107-16907-1l7mutr.jpg

Apart from the MDW80T,  the latest and current disc.

mdw-80t.jpg

39 minutes ago, Jimma said:

Apart from the MDW80T,  the latest and current disc.

mdw-80t.jpg

Yes, I was looking at those but prefer the white ink and more subtle design on the neige.

After seeing your labeled up disc I thought I'd dig this out from my collection.  It's on N5MD which was originally started as a MiniDisc only label.  I can only assume Tim Koch is an MD fan, which is great.  I like the look of your disc and will be interested in a copy once it is released.  Please let us know the details.

IMG_1716.JPG

On 12/16/2017 at 11:39 AM, bluecrab said:

The prices on buyee certainly are in line with what I would pay. However, my prior experience there resulted in what seemed to be higher additional fees than they originally stated, and by a lot

bluecrab,

I would like to try Buyee but since you mentioned that the additional fees are really high, I am having second thoughts now.

Could please you give me an example of how much the fees would be if I buy an item worth $100 so I can get an idea if it's really worth it? Or just stick to eBay?

Thank you!

actually Buyee has been on a campaign to reduce its fees. I know - I got all the emails ;(

On 4/23/2018 at 10:52 PM, Hmmm Music Lover said:

bluecrab,

I would like to try Buyee but since you mentioned that the additional fees are really high, I am having second thoughts now.

Could please you give me an example of how much the fees would be if I buy an item worth $100 so I can get an idea if it's really worth it? Or just stick to eBay?

Thank you!

So sorry...I just saw this. I was able to retrieve all the info. The deck was 256 USD. Shipping and fees were 177 USD. Here's the breakdown, from an email Buyee sent me:

[Total Shipping Cost]
US$177.84
(19,100yen)
-------------------------------------------
[Fee Breakdown]
<Domestic Shipping Fee (From seller to Buyee)>
1,400yen
<Consumption Tax>
0yen

<International Shipping Fee (From Buyee to your address)>
16,200yen
<Package Consolidation Fee>
0yen
<Protective Packaging Fee>
1,500yen

※The paid amount is calculated from the USD-JPY exchange rate at the time of the payment.
  • Like 1

That's an exceptionally high international shipping fee but isn't that because you bought a very heavy deck? The other fees from Buyee are relatively insignificant based on your given numbers.