Sony Insider Forums
kris01

Encoder rotary for JA555ES

Rate this topic

Hi

I bought not working  JA555ES  as a parts donor for JA555ES and JA333ES. It even didn't  power up. Broken shaft of AMS encoder.

Inside I noiticed some flat wires unpluged. Missing loading belt and  lever (lock) assy  X-4949-790-1 (not available anymore).

But I gave it a try.   After pluging all wires it powers up and display shines as new one.

I managed to create lever lock. First  I wanted to print it 3D but with no luck so I did it manually and it works. 

Next I tried  to repair broken encoder. I bought one encoder from Alps and second from Bourns but the old was from Panasonic ;-(  . Anyway I put Bourns encoder because it has longer shaft and works smooth and can stand more cycles. The only drawback is that it rotates in different direction than original but does its job. Maybe anyone knows what  Pansonic encoder should I get or have spare one.

After  assembling it turned out that this  MDS-JA555ES  has played only  for 131 hours and recorded for  64 hours so seems pretty new one. 20171227_202713.thumb.jpg.dfd454059c0c9a6e9e0caf6537754ef9.jpg20171227_202637.thumb.jpg.3fe31ad0d1158eb72a879c4bf96236aa.jpg

20171218_181915.jpg

20171207_142618.jpg

20171227_193908.jpg

Maybe he has only loading tray . Another MDS could be too much, I already have 3 x JA555ES and 2 x JA333ES and besides couple other different types . 

How do you get to the hours played and recorded?

Kris/Philippe - I desperately need a Digital board for a JA333ES - do either of you know where I might get one? - Page 50 in service manual

Anyway there is still chance.

In 2017 I bought one champagne JA333ES in excellent condition for 100CHF (even with box, manual and remote) as not working and made it work again.

Hmm.... looks rather similar to the AU board for a JB-940. Either you can pinch the components, or maybe make the whole thing work. Often there are busted JB940s on Yahoo Japan auctions, look in Buyee and FromJapan if I am right.

12 hours ago, kris01 said:

Am afraid it is not the same as in JA333ES.

Have you looked at the connections in detail? If they ARE the same (I haven't had time to analyse) then the only possible thing would be if there's a firmware in the big chip. But I have a feeling there isn't.

There's not that much difference between 940 and 333ES, honestly. The BD board is likely identical with the same ATRAC/DSP chip (CXD-2662). The tray is definitely one distinguishing feature, and possibly beefed up Power supply and noise suppression. Jim had scathing words about the difference between 780 and 980QS, for example. Just about nothing except a couple of brass screws, he said.