Sony Insider Forums
kris01

Encoder rotary for JA555ES

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, sfbp said:

Jim had scathing words about the difference between 780 and 980QS, for example. Just about nothing except a couple of brass screws, he said.

phamcu consider the QS to be better built thant the ES and told me to keep my JB980 (I did not think of selling mine) when I asked about his 780ES for sale.

Here in Vietnam,  JE and JA are easier to find than JB (I did not find any).

5 hours ago, PhilippeC said:

phamcu consider the QS to be better built thant the ES

I fully agree. I had to repair mechanical issues of both my JA333ES and JA20ES after a couple of years. Never had a problem with my JB920s or JB930, that have been running day and night for much more than 10 years now.

3 hours ago, PhilippeC said:

Salut Philippe,

And the W...1 ?

The MDS-W1 is less robust. I own half a dozen of them, use them intensively for moving tracks and duplicating/defragmenting discs.

I fully trust three of them, that always operate as expected.  Other units sometimes fail to duplicate full discs at once, but succeed if tracks are copied one at a time.

The W1 is a symmetric machine, that can copy from disc A to disc B, as well as from disc B to disc A. A machine that fails to copy in one direction will often copy correctly in the opposite direction, preserving the feature.

My intuition regarding failures is that the W1 does not retry when it fails to read a frame. The missed frames are rather replaced by silent frames, causing very short sound drops in the copy.

In other words, I need not check the copies made by reliable W1s, but I always listen to copies made by W1s I do not trust. Usually, erasing the damaged copy, and copying it again suffices to recover.

That being said, let me repeat here that without the W1, I would never have invested in minidiscs, as I did 16 years ago. What does digital recording mean, if you cannot backup your own recordings?

Make sure the connections look the same. I'm still rushed off my feet and haven't properly analysed the problem.