MZ-RH1 (MZ-M200) Amazon MP3 256 quality

Rate this topic

Zervun

So I bought a MZ-M200, love it -

I have a selection of everything from FLAC (not that much) and mostly MP3 from 128 - 3xx) with a lot at 192

I've successfully got SonicStage setup on win10 with the net64 drivers, and have formatted a few discs to HI-MD (I don't have any true HI-MD discs yet)

Quite a bit of the music I have been downloading from amazon seems all MP3 265

Should I be converting the MP3 265's to HI-SP? Or just transferring straight across as MP3s 265s

I know the HI-LP seem to be less quality than the MP3 265s from reading. What about 192 MP3s?

Less concerned about storage space so I'm thinking either Hi-SP or MP3 256, 192 or above.

Does converting the MP3 256 to HI-SP not increase the quality and pointless other than maybe saving space?

Thanks,

Anthony

Thanks, oddly after I typed the email, I noticed that the choice between Hi-SP and Hi-LP dissapeared from Sonicstage after I inserted the HI-MD formatted regular MD.

I'm unsure of where the HI-SP and HI-LP options to transfer went, or it was a bug before.

image.png.f3079e08836ad23e787ec1e2a8d27d5e.png

I am in a process to try what the easiest way - if this possible (never tried before, but close to) - to record in PCM quality (lossless) Hi-Res music already on my PC. Hi-MD mode and PCM real time recording seem the only way as SonicStage does not offer PCM as a transfer choice.

In the Net-MD mode, Atrac Advanced Lossless as another lossless alternative offer to transfer LP2 , LP4 and (fake) SP modes. In Hi-MD disc format modes, all transfers are possible (except PCM and SP fake or not fake). SP fake or not fake is reserved to standard format mode.

I've never been convinced that PCM is actually an improvement, being basically a marketing gimmick. All the ATRAC formats are 24 bit mantissa, 8 bit exponent logarithmic, whereas PCM is only 16 bits. Theoretically 352 should be the best format, then, although AAL is useful. However Hi-SP (256) is the highest bit rate that a unit will allow you to record, 352 is only available (as are 105 ATRAC3 LP3, 192 ATRAC3+ etc.) if you convert some other format using software.

Did you format the disk NetMD or Hi-MD? There's something called "DISC MODE" which means the format of a blank disk will be one or the other, without specifically initializing the disk medium. The host disk has to be Hi-MD formatted.

Also not ALL mp3's are transferrable, only sample frequencies of 32,44.1 and 48 Khz, with bit rates (fixed or variable) of 32 to 320 kbps.

I used sonic stage and just dragg

18 hours ago, sfbp said:

? I've never done this, but doesn't that prevent them from being played ? I'm pretty sure they have to be transferred with SonicStage. (see p.16 of manual).

I just formatted disc (regular MD) as hi-md, then drug my amazon MP3s to sonic stage and transfered them over with no conversion. It does show up as a drive in win 10 with the appropriate 64 bit driver so they could probably be drug directly across