Model # MZ-R900 Recording Problem

Rate this topic

Hi i have a Model # MZ-R900 with a recording problem , the unit is still able to play pre recorded MD from another sony md unit , the MZ-R900 won't record and play it back properly , theres a strange humm coming from underneath the unit after a recording with numbers in the display clocking forwards sluggishly. when i record on the unit , the numbers clock on properly without the strange humm ,

just when i try to playback after a recording , im getting the blankdisk error ?

What happened was i accidently opened the unit door whilst it was TOC editing and ejected the disc resulting in no recording ?

help ?

Overwrite head not working. Probably cable fractured.

(edit) You may have gotten the machine into an inconsistent state without actually busting anything. If so, taking out the battery and letting sit overnight, followed by plugging in to mains power may just reset things for you. I'm more concerned that you forced it open when it was trying to write the TOC. In the latter case, if you had waited a long time for the TOC writing to complete, then the damage was likely already done, so don't torture yourself. The cable to the OW head is known to fail on all these units. Extremely difficult to fix - but has been done on at least one of my units.

PS I too have an R900 with exactly the same problem (I inherited it, was always busted from when I got it). It is used to blank disks which are otherwise difficult or impossible to blank (because of NetMD TRProtect flag).