Sony MDS-JE330, MZ-N10 and MZ-N505

Rate this topic

Hello, MD fanatics!

This is my first post! :)

I bought my MZ-N10 back when it just came out - can't even remember how much I paid for it. Does anyone know what was the retail price of it back then? 

Also, just realized that the USB that came with it was not in the package (I just read here that people steal them) as I have never used it to record - just used it to play recorded music. I still have the original box but I did not find the USB cable. I cannot find the same USB cable online - the one I saw was sold for $40 off eBay 2 years ago which I think is a little much for just a cable. LOL

So I just purchased MZ-N505 complete with accessories (no box). My question is: Is there any difference with the quality of the recordings between these 3 models of Sony MD recorders?

I love MDs - I have had about 5 MD players/recorders since they came out. I was literally jumping with joy when they first came out as I love compiling songs in a tape.

Thanks!

PS:

I am not sure if this is where this topic should be posted.  This is the most appropriate based on the choices that are available. 

Sorry. Don't know what I could have been thinking. The really, really weird part is that I was looking right at that linked page when I said what I said. I'm embarrassed but will persevere anyway. And actually, not all Type R recorders record equally well. I have proof! :-) Thanks for pointing that out, Stephen...I should just be quiet when it comes to questions about portables.

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2018 at 4:54 PM, bluecrab said:

Sorry. Don't know what I could have been thinking. The really, really weird part is that I was looking right at that linked page when I said what I said. I'm embarrassed but will persevere anyway. And actually, not all Type R recorders record equally well. I have proof! :-) Thanks for pointing that out, Stephen...I should just be quiet when it comes to questions about portables.

Thanks guys! I have always loved MDs but I am just a newbie when it comes to the MD's technical stuff. ;)  Hope to learn more...

So bluecrab, should I use my MZ-N10 (I think it is type S) to record then? :) 

No reason to not use the N10. The Type S does not affect recording, though—only affect playback of LP modes. Or, give the N505 a try and see if you notice any difference. I have recently  noticed recording diffs between decks where the decks were all Type R...but note well that that was in ANALOG rec. mode. I think you're all set with either unit so long as you're keeping things digital.

9 hours ago, bluecrab said:

No reason to not use the N10. The Type S does not affect recording, though—only affect playback of LP modes. Or, give the N505 a try and see if you notice any difference. I have recently  noticed recording diffs between decks where the decks were all Type R...but note well that that was in ANALOG rec. mode. I think you're all set with either unit so long as you're keeping things digital.

Yes. I always record to MDs using an optical cable from the source. Hence, I do not notice any difference in the sound quality.

When I get a chance, I still have yet to try recording/writing into MD via SonicStage software so wish me luck. LOL

Thanks again, guys!