Hi. I seem to have returned to Mini Disc.....

Rate this topic

kalioon

.......Which is a little bit of a surprise!

Hi everyone, thought id introduce myself. As this site has helped me a lot.

Im Kalioon. Bought my first MD deck in 1998, the rather nice MDS-S38, this went along with a new Midi Hi Fi. Very soon after I bought a kenwood MD player the DMC-G3. A lovely combo. The deck allowed easy digital recording, and the remote ment I could easily input names. The kenwood died eventually, after a hell of a lot of abuse, so I replaced it with the MZ-G750.  Used this along with Deck for a while. But the lure of HDD and MP3 soon grabbed me. So I left MD behind. 

Until now. I resurrected an old hi fi my wife had, which included a pioneer MD deck, MD sounds good!. I got my old Sony portable out and reminded myself just how nice MD sounds on the move, but also how nice it was to have something tactile. Also the miniaturization of the devices has always astounded me. But the decades have not been good to my little portable and the headphone socket was knackered. So, to Ebay!

Picked up  a NF610 for £24 (inc P and P) which I thought was a bit of a bargain. Took a little punt, as the photos wernt too clear, and the remote clearly wasnt for the right player. It arrived this morning. Holy moly, I snagged a bargain. The player is perfect, and the remote is much better than the one that should have come with it. It wont play the radio, as the real remote should have, but who cares. Its backlight!

So here I am 2018, transferring songs onto an MD. I never got into NetMD when it was "a thing", but its pretty cool. 

Just thought Id say, Hi, and well done to everyone here. You have a lovely little forum, with a lot of really good info about a rather old but fantastic format!

The most fantastic thing is the durability of the units. Nowadays any MP3 player (including smartphones & Ipods crap) have a 3-4 years maximum life. Make sure you buy units with the availaibility of an extra AA external battery  box. Not sure you will get easily gumsticks batteries in the future.

Instead of searching for an AA case only  on eBay, most of the time for less than the double price you can find  a cheap unit which include the AA external case plus some MD discs. This is how start a new collection (it begin with a good knowledge of the minidisc.org browser and FAQ). Try also to get a good MDLP type S deck, And in case Hi-MD format interested you, the first Hi-MD generation (NH600-700-900) is the cheapest and is more reliable (durability) than the next one. This my opinion.

• Like 1

Thanks PhilippeC. I dont think I'm going down the MDLP deck route yet. I think im going to be recording in real time over toslink/spdif to SP mode any way, so the SP deck I have will be fine. NetMD is cool, but I think copying FLAC is the best option for me. 

I'm right in thinking that the only way to get FLAC onto MD is via optical?

On 05/04/2018 at 10:30 AM, kalioon said:

I'm right in thinking that the only way to get FLAC onto MD is via optical?

Yep, I do this except with high-bitrate mp3. It sounds awesome with SP mdoe and just slightly less awesome with LP2.

Side-note: not looked into it at all but I perceive FLAC as "not being worth it" compared to mp3 these days (better encoders etc) am I wrong about that and what would be the storage space on my HDD occupied by a typical FLAC album or track?

By the way, I enjoyed reading your original post and noticed you had a MDS-S38 - I've just acquired this deck and posted about a problem I had with it and a fix, check it out. I'd be curious to know if you also had any issues with that deck.

Flac can be converted in WMA, and WMA could be imported in SonicStage (not Flac), then the files can be transfered digitally in any MD formats.

The ONLY thing that must be done in real time is to record in SP format (original MD format which could be listened by all MD units, even the very first ones).

Thereafter you can even record must higher quality audio files than Flac, all HI-Res audio could be record on a MD, you just need to record with an analog connection or downgrade the signal to 48kHz (with players which are able to read Hi-Res music like foobar2000 or jRiver Media Center and some others, fix the frequency to 48kHz during the recording or use a downgrade frequency plugin).. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 10:30 AM, kalioon said:

Thanks PhilippeC. I dont think I'm going down the MDLP deck route yet.

That didnt last long....

Ive just bought a MDLP deck.  The JE440.  Not the most feature packed, or newest, but I picked one up for a steal. Not Type S, but it still sounds fantastic.  The SP deck I had had issues, plus it wasnt MDLP, which was a pain. 

Pulled out my old Sony amp (db 840) connected it all up, and it sounds fantastic! 

I wonder whats next on my journey into the past....

23 minutes ago, sfbp said:

Hmmm he didn't seem to have much luck selling before. And does one have to join up? What is "kleinanzeigen"? (as opposed to real ebay)

kleinanzeigen means Classifieds as google translate told me :-) There are great deals btw. i got my CDP-LSA1 there for just 30 eur. + 25 for shipping

2 hours ago, sfbp said:

Fair enough.... but why does it seem to be a completely separate organization? (or perhaps it is not)

What i'm understand this is something like local German ebay.  :-) they usally not send stuff internationally, but some sellers can make an offer and send it over. No problem what so ever on this. Here in Latvia where i live we have the same thing. I'ts just local...